Forum home Babies Baby
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

What Moses basket bedding do I need?

:? Hi ladies,

We're getting a Moses basket for our second baby but don't know what bedding to buy with it.

We used a cot from birth with DD and I bought blankets, fitted sheets and flat sheets but ended up only using the flat sheets and blankets for the first month before using sleeping bags. So I don't want to waste money buying loads of blankets & flat sheets again. I can reuse the sleeping bags a few weeks in.

I know I'll need at least two fitted sheets but how many blankets will we need? Do you use flat sheets with Moses baskets? Should I buy swaddling blankets for a may baby or will it be too warm? Should I buy a bumper and spare coverlet too? Does anyone use the coverlets?

Any advice from your experience would be wonderful! Many thanks x :?

Replies

• H i never used the coverlets. All I used were some flat sheets on the bottom - on the mattress and a blanket over LO. We didn't buy a bumper or anything like that either.

To be honest my Lo was only in moses basket for about 6 weeks so glad I didn't sepnd alot.

• DS is in a crib rather than moses, and has slept in a sleeping bag since about 4 days old. We have tons of blankets and have used hardly any at all so I wouldn't buy too much TBH.

xxx
  • g/c im 37wks and havebought a crib instead of a moses basket but we got fitted sheets, flat sheets + some blankets. They also fit the carrycot of our pram.

Ive also bought a few sleeping bags but must admit im a bit confused as I know the baby has to be at the foot of the crib, but where does the end of the sleeping bag go? If I fold it over the baby he/she will be too hot, but if I fold it under the mattress then the baby wont be able to move?

Anyone know the answer?
  • Ive also bought a few sleeping bags but must admit im a bit confused as I know the baby has to be at the foot of the crib, but where does the end of the sleeping bag go? If I fold it over the baby he/she will be too hot, but if I fold it under the mattress then the baby wont be able to move?

Anyone know the answer?

Baby has to be at the foot of the crib so that they can't wriggle down underneath the blankets and suffocate. When using a sleeping bag, you have to make sure that the gap around the neck isn't too big for baby's head to fit through so can't wriggle down underneath the blankets. So with this in mind, I put DS towards the bottom of the crib but don't worry if he's feet aren't at the bottom as his head can't fit through the gap.

HTH

xxx
  • Ah, thanks for that MrsRainbowUK, that really helps xxx