Forum home Babies Baby
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Motion alarm in moses basket went off this morning, very worried

As the title says really, would appreciate any advice or reassurance from others.

My 6.5 week old has a Tommee Tippee motion sensor alarm pad in her moses basket and this morning it went off. This means that she didn't move (it picks up breathing as movement) for 20 seconds. Luckily I was in the room so able to pick her straight up. I blew in her face to try to wake her. She didn't wake but was startled. Once I knew she was breathing I checked the sensor pad and it was in the right place etc. Called NHS direct who put me straight through to a nurse who asked me lots of questions (seemed to be most concered about menengitis) she also listened to LO's breathing over the phone and told me to take her to the GP within next 2 hours. Went to GP who checked her over (temp, breathing etc). He says she seems fine but to keep a close eye on her for next 24 hours. I feel reassured that she does not have a serious illness but am worried if we didn't have the sensor would she have had a cot death, a very scary thought, have been holding her all morning as too scared to put her down incase something happens.

Replies

• Options
    Oh poor you - what a fright you must have had.

Just a thought, is it anything else to do with the monitor rather than LO? For instance, I know the one I used in DD's cot had to be placed on a piece of wood so that it was completely flat....

K x
  • Options
    Thanks for your reply KayeCee_And_Co. I will get hubby to give the pad and monitor a good check over later. Perhaps her moses basket bottom is the problem not sure how this can be the case though as we have used it since day 1 and this is the first time it has gone off.

A x x
  • Options
    I know at least three people who have had similar scares with these motion sensors and I suspect it's the alarm that's the problem and not the baby.

My friend was very upset when her monitor went off and sprinted to her nursery to find her baby snoring away oblivious to it all.

Whilst I think it's a brilliant idea when they don't work properly it must be very frightening x
  • Options
    I'd definitely get him to double check it and try not to worry. I've often wondered about how they are used in moses baskets as the bottom doesn't tend to be quite as flat. We actually stopped using ours when LO started rolling and kept moving off of it. The first few times the alarm went off was terrifying. Completely agree with MrsMP - fab idea but a headache if they don't work properly.
  • Options
    yeah, our Angelcare one is a bit funny - sometimes it picks up movement when there is none eg I've taken her out the cot and forgotten to switch it off, which is also not very reassuring, lol! It used to be especially bad for doing funny stuff for the first eight weeks before we put her in her big cotbed. Like Kayecee, our wee one wiggles off hers now, not rolling but kind of wiggling til she's horizontal, and it goes off, giving me a cardiac arrest every time so it's days are numbered!
  • Options
    same here, our days are limited as LO can now wriggle all over the cot - it's gone off about 3 times in the last couple of nights and all times he's been at top end of cot!

We used to use it in moses basket and it did go off a couple of times - but he was fine - I think like previous poster said - the bottom of basket isn't flat to support the sensor pad properly so I wouldn't be too alarmed, although it is terrifying when they first go off - now we are just like - oh I wonder where he's rolled off to this time.

try not to worry too much, if the baby is ourwise fit and well then any chance of cot death is very small. Enjoy your baby xxx
  • Options
    Not read the other replies but try not to dwell on what could have been (although I probably would be - it's only natural).

Crikey it's scary isn't it? We have the angelcare motion monitor & cos it was so fiddly we just used a camera one instead.

I think after what you've experience I will use it with next bubs.

I'm sorry you've had such a fright & I hope your precious one is o.k, so good to hear the professionals are taking it seriously.

It's such a releif when they get to 5 months & past the scary stage.

Hugs xxx
  • Options
    Thanks for all your support ladies and taking the time to reply. I feel much better this afternoon as LO has been her usual playful and smiley self. Might get Hubby to put a sheet of ply wood on the base of her moses basket to ensure the sensor pad stays straight.

A x x
  • Options
    i have a tommee tippee sensor pad/monitor and this has happened to me twice and when i've gone ot check on her she is still breathing and asleep. i'm thinking it may be a fault? but well done on your efforts <3
  • Options
    I have the TT monitor and this has happened to us when we used it in the moses basket and in a travel cot. I think its because its not 100% flat. Im sure I read somewhere that they say not to use them in moses baskets because of this.

Also with the monitor you can change the sensory level, so if you have a thick mattress in may be worth changing the level, so the pad is more sensitive.]

Try not to worry. xxx
  • Options
    I would put money on it being the monitor hun I have friends who have the and they false alarm all the time glad your lo is ok xx
  • Options
    We had the tt sensor monitor but had to replace it due to interference but I am sure that it says in the instructions not to use it in a Moses basket due to the risk of false alarms. Hope that this was a false alarm for you Hun x
  • Options

i had the same with my little man who was 3 weeks old at the time and he had stopped breathing and was white and floppy and blue .luckily he came to with a small amount of cpr and rushed by ambulance to hospital  which was vary scary . the tommee tippee alarm saved his life if it hadn't of gone off i think it would have been a different outcome. he spent 3 weeks in hospital with strep b infection in his hip and this was the cause of him stopping breathing as they infection had started to spread around his body . he is very lucky to be alive and i am glad i purchased the sensor as my little boy is now 6 weeks and on the mend , i really do recommend it its the best purchase i have made

• Options

Our monitor has a tendency to go off when the batteries are going low.  It probably is the monitor but there is no harm in being a bit cautious.  Just be aware though that most cot death babies actually die in their parent's arms (usually on the sofa) when their parents drop off so if you feel yourself getting tired then put him back in his moses basket.

• Options
    I had this and ended up taking my tommee tippee one back for another , this time hubby fitted it but slightly diagonal and it's so much better. It still goes of sometimes but it's when he's in a really deep sleep. Husband had some thing where he used to hold his breath or not be able to breathe and he'd turn blue but he's always ok , my son seems to like holding his breath the same so might have something to do with it. He's nearly one but I still panic. I'd rather have the monitor and know what's going on than not though. Keep a log of what baby wakes like when it goes off each time , there may be a pattern you can talk to a doc about. Some people do hardly breathe when in a deep sleep though , it's not always easy to pick up movement then x
  • Options
    I had this and ended up taking my tommee tippee one back for another , this time hubby fitted it but slightly diagonal and it's so much better. It still goes of sometimes but it's when he's in a really deep sleep. Husband had some thing where bye used to hold his breath or not be able to breathe and he'd turn blue but he's always ok , my son seems to like holding his breath the same so might have something to do with it. He's nearly one but I still panic. I'd rather have the monitor and know what's going on than not though. Keep a log of what baby wakes like when it goes off each time , there may be a pattern you can talk to a doc about. Sine people do hardly breathe when in a deep sleep though , it's not always easy to pick up movement then x