Forum home Babies Baby
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Do you...

2»

Replies

• Its all over the top anyway. Do you think teachers sit in the staff room saying "little Jimmy's mummy obviously didn't refer to herself in the third person when he was a baby".
  • I really don't know faithie, I bet they might, teachers do talk about a lot of things! I'd have thought they'd put it in the books for a reason though so maybe it is something to do with their brains developing or something.

I'm just too lazy to teach him one thing and then unteach it later - same principle for things like "moo cow", "doggy" and "horsey", I just can't be bummed! image
  • I always do it, even to my 4 year old I will say 'can you pass mummy a nappy please' or 'eat it all up for mummy' etc, always have done though not entirely sure why, lol.

Xxx
  • emcb, i'm with u on moo cow etc, i hate it! although he does call a fire engine a neenaw, but he knows thats not it's name and that neenaw is the sound (not that they sound much like that anymore)...my sister always did that with ehr kids and tries to with mine, forever telling her off, he knows a sheep is a sheep, and he knows it's noise is 'baa' without ever having called it a a baa sheep or whatever, grr! x
  • Aw, WoWbabies, love you! Down with Moo Cow! Don't people just feel a bit daft talking like that? My ds says the noise different things make too. He knows it's not their name, but he can't say 'monkey' or 'pirate', so it's just easier for him to make the noise!
  • I do it- so much so i've forgotten my hubby's first name and he's now just daddy (we get very odd looks on a night out sans bubba LOL) x
  • Guilty! lol.

I do think it's right though as they learn later the concept of "you, me and I" as someone else says. I don't tend to do much babytalk though and a "cow" is a "cow" lol, although this is usually followed up with me going "moooooooo" lol - my parents were the same though and hated my grandparents telling us e.g a "bobbo" is a horse.

• lol mummy to grace I have been guilty of this it can get very embarassing :lol:

I am guilty! ds is a real daddy's boy so i'm always keen to reinforce that he has a mummy as well image
  • I don't get it - surely they learn all concepts as they're exposed to them? Why is 'me' harder to learn than 'mummy'? I'd have thought it was easier - anyone can be 'me' or 'you', but only one person is mummy! Good job that's not how we learn other languages when we're older, eh! :lol:

Seriously, I was just wondering because it drives me potty, I didn't expect one to be the right way! image
  • Just wondering EmCB why it bothers you so much. What is it about it that drives you potty?

Not looking for an argument, I think it would be nice to have your full point of view so that I can understand better. As I am totally guilty of it and can't grasp why it would bother someone.

IMO there isn't a right way, it's whatever works for you and your LO xx
  • I think it's probably because it's just not English! I'm Mummy, but I'm also Emily, I don't announce my entrance into a room by saying, (cue grand voice and trumpets) "Emily is walking into the room!" image That would be really odd! It doesn't bother me so much that other people do it with their kids, it's their way of doing things and we all have them, so I wouldn't critisie image Just wanted to know whether other people did! It sends me barmy when my sister does it, "Come to Aunteeeee!" because she's doing it to my baby!

I'm like you, annebop, IMO there's not a right way as such, I think I'm just too lazy to have to reteach him when he's older so he doesn't start nursery referring to himself in the third person! :lol: