Forum home Babies Baby
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Abroad with a 6 month old... Advice Needed!

Hey ladies,

We are off to Sharm El Sheikh in 5 weeks when my little girl will be 6 months old. I am wondering what advice you ladies might have for me as I am clueless!!

I am thinking of taking TT Steri Bottles, I would need to take about 50 for the week, they are on offer on Mamas & Papas at the mo so will be cheap enough but might take up some much needed luggage space, though they are light enough so shouldn't push us over our luggage allowanece... Should I take my cold water steraliser and fill that everyday? It would mean buying 5 litres of water everyday to fill it and also trying to wash the bottles may be a problem...

Mosquito repellent... Which ones are best for babies?

Are Huggies the best swim nappies or are own brand just as good, how many do you think I will need per day?

For sleeping at night, do I go vest and blanket or vest and 1 tog sleeping bag?

We are just starting to introduce solids and I am wanting to mix purees and BLW so plan to let her have some of our food (when I know exactly whats in it) and also take a box of porridge and a few Ellas Kitchen pouches which have been recommended to me, do this seem realistic?

I never thought a holiday would be so stressful! If only we had gone a few months ago when she was still breast fed and not ready for weaning :lol: x

Replies

• Hi

Sorry I havnt got much advice for you but look forward to the replys as I will be in a similar situation next month, our dd will be 4 months when we go abroad on holiday.

So I have a few TT disposible bottles but am going to use her normal bottles too, I have got some Milton sterilizing tablets to take, you just add one to cold water for I think its 15mins and I have bought a tub with lid on to use. (I was under the impression I could just use tap water to do this ??)

For the mozzy repelent, I dont think you can use these till a certain age (maybe its 6 months Im not sure) but I will be using the childrens patches, I used these when I was pregnant, just stick it on the inside of your clothes they were great. You can stick them on the pram, cot ect.

I have Huggies little swimmers too, not sure what they are like, sorry.

I am also unsure about bedtime clothes too !! I was thinking cos the aircon ect it could be cold in the room. My husband said we could just set the temp to 18/20 degrees and keep it at that.

I was planning on taking a 1 tog sleeping bag but not sure what dd should wear ??

sorry not much help but I look forward to other replys

have a great holiday

• Hey Guys,

We are based out in Dubai and tent to travel quite a bit. My son is almost 7 months old. We went to Mauritius when he was 4 months for 8 days and it was fine. We took our normal bottles, 5/6 of them and we just used the kettle in our room to boil water and sterilize the bottles and then boiled bottle water for him to drink. Since then i have discovered cold water sterilization tablets though, which i think would be a lot easier. Take a container to sterilize and also a little bottle of washing up liquid to wash the bottles and you can just do this in the sink in your room. We always make the bottles in batches and then keep the bottles in the fridge (obviously minus the milk powder)

Swimming nappies, we always use huggies out here - but i guess Boots would be just as good. Why not try both and see how you get on. Make sure you take enough for a least 2 a day - depends how much your are going to be in the water.

At night, i personally would take sleepsuits rather than vests. But i guess it depends on the baby and how hot he/she gets. I always dress my son in a sleepsuit and grow bag and his room is around 24 degrees at night. Plus if the A/C is on during the night it can get really cold.

I havent done the whole solids thing away from home yet but i think i would take baby rice, ellas kitchen pouches etc. We have home made purees at home, but i just dont think its possible to take your own food.

Also, a couple of things to warn you about. Take plenty of nappies. We almost ran out and the country we were in didnt have the name nappies which was a nightmare. Also, more importantly, take more formula than you actually need - just incase. We actually did run out of formula and it was almost a disaster. We managed to get the local brand of aptimal, but its different and my son hated it and refused to drink it. He gagged on every mouthful. Luckily we were on the plane home by this point, so we managed to get home before he needed feeding again.

Let me know if there is anything else you need to know. Call the airline in advance to ensure they provide you with a seat and skycotimage

xx
  • I went to Lanzarote when LO was 6 months and bought the steriliser bags and tablets from Boots. All you do is fill one of the plastic bags with tap water, add the tablet and then pop your bottles in - each one lasts 24 hours. Would definitely recommend. We also took disposable bibs (again from Boots) which meant we didn't need to take tonnes of bibs or worry about washing them out x
  • G / C from DIM.

I wouldnt give your lo any food from your hotel or the bars etc, try to stick with pouches of food you have fetched with you.

We went to sharm a couple of years ago and everyone tends to get the upset tum at some point. A couple who were on honeymoon with their little one had a night mare as he ended up with upset tum too, and the only thing they could think it was was some finger foods they had given him from the buffett. I really would stick to pouches and jars you take with you if possible.
  • Hi Lovely lady and bootiful Izzy

Well, as you know we recently took JJ abroad and although it felt like we packed everything including the kitchen sink, it wasn't so bad.

I guess my advantage was he was bf so didn't have the hassle of bottles as such. But there are loads of solutions out there to make steralising easy so you'll be grand.

We'd only just started weaning JJ when we went and we just took lots of stage 1 ella's pouches which were fabby! one pouch provided 2 meals for JJ at that stage so we'd stick it back in fridge and just alternate between packs

Our hotel provided a cot (just a travelcot thing) which was comfy enough for JJ although I did take a flat sheet of mine own away just so he had a 'smell' he recognised in his bed. We used a 1tog sleeping bag and a long sleeved vest which was perfect for him.

I bought some baby mosquito wipes from boots....however i think these were for 6mths plus only which JJ was only a week off being...we didn't need them where we were anyway but I got them 'just incase'. I also got the boots own brand 50+spf baby cream which we used when we was in the buggy on walks and his lil legs stuck out his stroller....we tried to cover him with a muslin but he wasn't having any of that!

Email me via FB if you have any other questions

big kisses x x x
  • Cheers Ruthie, was just about to until I remembered I had posted this lol! I'm gutted we didn't book for Jan as we were going to originally as she only came off of the boob 3 weeks ago. Think I am pretty much sorted now. Will have to have a look for the mozzy patches tomorrow in town.

We have been to Sharm 3 times before and never had an upset tum but I will be really careful what I give her. I was only thinking toast, potato from a jacket and maybe fruit/veggies. We've started with a puree breckie this week and she is only interested if I let her feed herself and is much happier with a stick of cucumber so think we will be mainly BLW as I had hoped.

I ended up ordering 50 steri bottles as they were on offer, I'm just way too lazy to be washing and steralising bottles. I even use bottled water out there to brush my teeth so would need to boil bottled water to wash them (after having cleaned the sink with disinfectant), use bottled water to fill the cold water steraliser and I really don't want the hassle when I am on my jollies :lol: x
  • Hi All,

I know some of the messages on here were posted a while ago, but I am after some advice.. My husband and I are thinking of booking a holiday to Portugal with our son, who is 8 months; we are looking to book to go within a month or two. My son is in such a good sleeping routine....he has his bottle at 6:30pm and doesn’t wake up till 7am, we are unsure whether to keep him to his routine and hubby and I will have room service and eat on the balcony whilst he is sleeping, or let him go to sleep in his stroller whilst we are out in the evenings? Have any of you stuck to your bed time routines? I not worried if he doesn’t sleep too much at nights (as long as he is happy) but I am worried he won’t get back into his routine when we get back home?

I’d love any advice xx