Forum home Babies Baby
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

FAO anyone who co-sleeps with baby!

Hi all,

We have fallen into a pattern of co-sleeping with baby! It started just after she was 4 months and had been I'll and it has just sort of become routine, we have been happy for this to happen as we both wanted to do co-sleeping from day one but was put off!

Anyway, LO is coming up to 7 months and as much as I love having her in our bed I feel that she should be in her own cot before she gets much older to make the transition easier for her!

I was just wondering at what age did you put LO into their cot? How did you go about doing it? Did you move her straight into her own room or get her used to her cot in your room first?

Help please!

Becky

Xxx

Replies

• sorry...i haven't done co sleeping but i would imagine putting her in a cot in your room would be the next step, i would prob sleep with my hand on her belly through the bars the first night to get her off to sleep x x x
  • we still occasionally co sleep at 14 months we always start off with him in his own cot and he comes in with us if he needs to or is poorley, personally i would start as you mean to go on by putting her in her own room them you dont have 2 lots of upheaval but i suppose it depends how you feel about that, if your not ready it might be worth doing it in your room? or maybe doing daytime naps in there first?
  • hi our story is very similar with re the cosleeping habit due to illness!

The difference is that Logan was in his cot before he got ill so it is familiar to him. We finally managed to get him bck in his cot last night. I put the radio on quietly for noise and put my dressing gown next to him which i had been wearing for a good few days.

He was fine - just woke once at 3am 0 took a while to settle but i just persevered. He then came to bed fo a cuddle at 6am.

Oh this is in his own room btw.

• we got into a habbit of co-sleeping with our 11 month old and she was waking frequently through the night for feeds as well. so this week we put her in her own room in her big girl cot and tried to teach her to self settle using gina ford's contented baby book at the same time. it worked instantly. by night 3 she slept through going to bed at 7pm and falling asleep within 20 mins and waking up at 7am. night 1 and 2 i woke her accidentally checking on her damn squeeky door. before tuesday we had to get into bed with her to get her to sleep.
  • HIya,

I don't think there is anything wrong with co-sleeping, and in fact quite like it. We go through stages with M (7 months). She is teething at the moment and has been having disturbed sleep so when this is happening she comes in with us, just becasue it is easier to comfort her when she wakes. We always start her off in her own cot in her room though, and then bring her in with us when he first wakes. Ths is a good comprimise I think as she learns to fall asleep in her own bed. I am thinking that I will try and stop bringing her in with us over the next month or so. Sorry going on about M and not helping you at all!

I think you could bring the cot into your room for a bit if it will fit to get her used to the cot. Only for a few nights though, then move it back in to her room. Be prepared that she will cry but I would advise controlled crying if you can do this. She will get used to it pretty quickly though, and in fact she will enjoy having all that space to herself!

Hope this helps,good luck

Emma x
  • We started co-sleeping when Isabelle was still bf and waking every 3 hours for feeds, it went on for 6weeks and I got too lazy to keep getting out of bed to get her. Anyway I got fed up of waking up with a dead arm where she had been lay so we put the cot next to my side of the bed and took the side off so she was right next to me. She is now on bottles and sleeping through but I have kept her there as I love having her close and I think she likes being close too.

Maybe you could try that so that your LO still feels close and can hear you breathing, smell you etc but isn't actually in bed with you and see how that goes and then maybe try putting her further away in your room before moving her into her own room when you feel its right x