Forum home Babies Baby
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

refusing bottles

My daughter is almost 16 weeks old and is breastfed but has always taken ebm from a bottle without any problem until recently. She has started refusing bottles and gets really angry when we try to feed her this way. My husband has always given her a bottle after her bath and has done night feeds at the weekend to give me a break. We wondered of she was getting frustrated with the speed of the flow as we were using size one teats so last night I tried a vari flow which seemed to work but then tonight she refused again. I wouldn't sorry too much but I'm a bridesmaid at a wedding in a few weeks time and so I'm not going to be able to feed her for every feed of the day and the dress isn't exactly breastfeeding friendly! Also I can't approach it on the basis that she'll get so hungry that she'll give in as this all kicked off last week when I went out for the day and she refused food all day from 7am until 8.30pm!

Has anyone had anything similar? Did the situation resolve itself? Any particular bottles that helped? Any advice gratefully received!

Replies

• Have you tried feeding her with a bottle when she is really sleepy? She might be a bit more open to it then? Then gradually she might take it awake, but it will need to be really gradual if she's a hardcore boob fan! xx
  • Hiya,

My litle one used to go through phases of refusing bottle, and then refusing breast when she was that age (she is now 7 months). I used to really worry about it but it really was just a phase. Stick with it and in a few days you may find that she goes back to taking bottle fine again. Just keep trying her with it. Also something I used to do is if she takes a dummy, I would put this in her mouth, and then subtly change it for the bottle and she would take it then. It's all about tricking them into feeding!

Good luck,

Emma x
  • I had this prob a similar age to your little one - but when I changed the teat size they gradually accepted the bottle again.

My sister's little one went thr this recently, but she is the same age as my boys, so older than yours. SHe refused bottles point blank. My sister would bascically send her to sleep before she would drink her milk. It lasted about two weeks and then gradually she began to accept the bottle back. Dic put it down to a virus, but there were no other symptoms.

Could it be teething? You could try a bit of bonjela on her gums or give her teething powder a short while before her bottle? My two get fussy when they have teething pain.

xxx
  • Thanks for your replies ladies - will try out all the suggestions and keep going with it. Keep your fingers crossed for me!