Forum home Babies Baby
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Washable Nappies

2»

Replies

• Dark Star, I had the same problem with the Kushies when my girls wore trousers, we discovered that as they moved the waistband pulled the nappy down.  I had to get adjustable waists on their trousers and they were fine after that.  My youngest has a completely different build to her sisters and have had no problems so far.

I had 20 for size1 and 15 size2.  I also was given loads of terry squares (had 40 at last count) by older relatives when I said I was using reusables and have 2 waterproof covers I use in emergencies with these, but with 3 children I've only needed them twice when my dryer broke in the rain and  the heating was off.  I find them useful for lining changing mats and bath rests and they make great hand towels for toddlers because they are small enough for them to use themselves and dry faster than normal hand towels.  Good for potty training toddlers in the carseats too as mine refused to sit on a carrier bag and the seat liners are a pain to wash.  I'd recommend a pack to everyone because they are so useful with small children.

I've always used disposables at night and when out with the youngest girls as I just can't fit enough spares for all 3 on the pram and once lost my messy bag at the playgym and had nowhere to put them as size2 don't fit in a nappy sack very well. 

Hope it goes ok for you Lisa!

• I intended to use terry squares for my eldest 11 years ago,as there wasn't much choice and that wa the only option at the time.I used them once,found them too much hassle and used disposables.I tried again with my number two baby and we used them till she was trained.With my other babies I used disposables simply cos terries,pins and the old fashioned plastic pants that had a tendency to split hen you least wanted it were too much work.

With number 7 I have recently switched to Kushies,which we're happy with.Although they make all in one nappies we use the originals and the separate wraps .It's almost as easy as disposables at change time,so much easier than the old terries I'd used.I have 15 nappies and four wraps,which gives us enough to keep my little one in nappies and a full load for washing every couple of days.

.I still have 2 dozen terries for mopper uppers of any kind,towels,changing mat,cleaning,under the potty,and as a pad in the highchair,car seat and pushchair.Many,many uses,like Youngmummy says,they dry quick.They also boil wash if you've anything unpleasant needs clearing up.

I'm also a big fan of Cheeky Wipes,reusable wipes,well worth a try too.

• I used Motherease with my Son whose now 5 and although I still had them and they were great I now used Gumgenious one size nappies with my 10week old Daughter as there is no outer liner and they are bright and colourful
  • I'm now 35 weeks pregnant and decided to go for the bumgenius birth to potty kit. It looks really simple to use and they look really cute as well. I've yet to give them a couple of washes before the baby arrives which I'm going to do at the weekend, and will then look forward to being able to use them once the baby's here.

Lisa