Forum home Babies Baby
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Reaction to junior Oilatum?

Evening ladies,

Have any of your LOs had a reaction to Oilatum, particularly the bath stuff? Finley has eczema and we were advised to bath him in Oilatum every night and also use diprobase throughout the day. However his skin seems to be much redder and very itchy as soon as he gets in the bath and when we're getting him dry and ready for bed. I'm wondering if it's the Oilatum he is having a reaction to and would be interested to see if anyone else has experienced something similar. If so what did you use?

Thank you!

xx

Replies

• Some babies are allergic to the lanolin in some of these preparations. Try aveeno bath lotion instead. I think they might do a childrens one as well as an adult formula.
  • My LO is having the EXACT same problem!!

I started a thread about Eczema and Cradle Cap a while ago on BIO (check it out, especially what nora_batty said).

One lady pointed out that the heat from the bath could cause a reaction to their skin as they warm up in the bath.

I've been to the Dr's 3 times about it, the 1st Dr prescribed Diprobase and Oilatum, the 2nd turned her nose up at Diprobase and told me to use it sparingly, in the mean time she prescribed me Aqueous cream, and the 3rd Dr also snarled at Diprobase and prescribed Hydrocortisone (a steroid cream)

Nothing but nothing is working, he goes some days where it looks like it's clearing up and then the next day it flares up again. It didn't even cross my mind that it might be the Oilatum so last night (after reading your post) I held back on the Oilatum in the bath, obviously it's too early to tell yet but I don't think it made any difference.

If you find anything works please let me know cos it's breaking my heart watching him itch all the time.

Moo x

http://www.babyexpert.com/community/forums/thread/1438350?page=1
  • I know it's awful seeing them scratch to the point of making themselves bleed. It must be so frustrating for them. Thanks for that link. I've had a quick read and it is interesting what nora_batty said. After reading it i will definately be staying clear of aqueous cream! Like you we have been prescribed diprobase, hydrocortisone and also Epaderm. The hydrocortisone works a treat but obviously as a steroid it can only be used in short bursts and so his skin flares up as soon as we stop it. The Epaderm didn't seem to do a thing so we gave up with that.

We last used the Oilatum in the bath on Saturday and already we are noticing a difference. Not a huge difference but certainly an improvement. We are continuing with the diprobase and slathering it on him morning, evening and whenever we change his nappy. His skin seems smoother today so fingers crossed by cutting out the Oilatum we may have got somewhere.

Interesting thing is my mum just phoned me to tell me she was talking to someone about Finley and his eczema and said how we have tried everything including Oilatum. Immediately a woman overheard the conversation and said it was Oilatum that was probably causing the problem as she had the exact same thing with her daughter. As soon as she stopped using it her daughters symptoms cleared up. Apparently she used something else in the bath which she told my mum the name of. Will see her tomorrow night so she'll give me the info then. I'll come back on here and let you know what it's called.

I just wish i'd never started to use the stuff as before his skin was dry but not all red and itchy.

I've also been putting Boots bottom butter on his face throughout the day which seems to have helped his cheeks a fair amount. My dad has managed to finally get hold of some Waitrose bottom butter that everyone is going on about so want to try that too as a friend of mine swears by it for her little boy.

Sorry for the waffle! Let's hope with the lack of Oilatum that our little ones start to improve. I'm sure over the next couple of days you will notice an improvement on your LO. Keep me informed and i'll do the same. x
  • my lo had real bad echsma since using oilatum and diprobase its cleared up a treat. tbh you shoulnt be switching creams all the time its no good for them and you need to give them a chance to work.
  • Nikkinoos, yeah it's interesting to hear that someone's actually experienced the Oilatum causing more harm than good, does your LO have Cradle Cap too or just Eczema?

I'm going to stop using it for a while too then and see if it's that, (fingers crossed) then at least it can be rules out one way or another.

I'll wait to hear from you later. image

WOW_addict86 - How long is a "chance to work"?

My LO has been in and out of the Dr's with this problem since before Christmas, he's 5 and a half months old now, so I wouldn't say I've been switching creams all the time but merely trying to work out which is best for his conditon!

I'm really pleased that your LO's eczema cleared up with Diprobase and Oilatum but I've been using both for almost 3 months now so I reckon I've given a good chance to work.
  • He used to have cradle cap although not too bad compared to a lot of babies. He now just seems to have a dry scalp which he is also itching. I hope i haven't spoken too soon but Finley has been trying to scratch his legs again today although not as much as before. He now has scratch marks over parts of his legs but the dry patches and the redness have calmed down a fair bit. Hopefully it's just a case of his skin clearing itself of the Oilatum! As soon as i plastered his legs with the diprobase he didn't scratch them. Just as well we get it on prescription with the amount we go through!

Finley has also been suffering with this problem for months and like you we have given creams a fair amount of time to work and if it doesn't then i feel we have to switch to something else. I'm sure we'll get to the bottom of it eventually.

I'll be back on later to let you know the name of that other bath stuff that my mum was recommended. Let's hope it's still in circulation! xx
  • Me again! The name of that stuff my mum was told is Balneum. It comes in a bath oil and cream. Had a quick look online and it's still available to buy. A little expensive but not sure if you wanted to try it? My mum noticed an improvement on Finley when she saw him tonight although he is still a little scratchy so i am going to see how he gets on for a while before trying anything else. Will keep you informed. Let me know if you find anything that helps your LO. xx
  • I think it's so hard as one solution for baby won't necessarily work for another! My mum often tells me how she struggled with me as a baby as I had infantile excema and was covered! ouch! As I grew up Aqueous cream is the only thing that didn't make it worse and helped cool it down.

My lo has patches of dry skin (10 months old this week), nothing major but am conscious of it so only bath her every other day - have also wondered whether Oilatun (have bath and cream) is irritating her so have held off using it the last two baths (water only) and she doesn't seem to be as itchy as she was when I get her ready for bed.

Have you tried zinc and caster oil cream? An old fashioned cream that is suitable for dry skin/nappy rash etc. Have found it has soothed her dry skin in the past (should have just stayed with it but someone recommended Oilatun lol). Maybe add it to your list to see if it works if current creams fail?

Also worth considering whether a food agravates it too (excema I mean now) - perhaps keep a food diary?

HTH and hope it clears up soon xxx
  • Fab thanks so much Nikkinoos, I've made a note of it's name and will check out where to buy it from and give it a go if all else fails.

It's frustrating that there's so many different creams and oils for this condition. Google brings up all types of suggestions depending on which site you go on.

Teddy has been extra itchy today and it seems the back of his head is getting redder? :?

If it carries on like this for another week or so I'm going to go back to the GP and see what they suggest.

Keep me posted on how you get on and I'll do the same. Fingers crossed for both out LO's.

• koukla i have no idea how long u been trying the stuff for so theres no point in getting snotty, i was just saying if people are switching creams every week it doesnt work. it took my lo a couple of months you cant expect miracles and no not every cream works for every baby obv...

i was trying to giv a bit of helpful advice as this is wot my doctor told me is that ok like?
  • Apple-pie-73 - thanks for the advice, i've added the zinc & caster oil to my list!!

The food thing is a good idea too, I do already keep a food diary (only just started weaning) but I reckon it's been going on so long that it can't be linked.

WOW_addict86 - you misconstrued my reply, it wasn't meant to sound snotty at all and I'm sorry if you took offence.

NIKKINOOS - how's your LO been? Teddy's been slightly less itchy today and his scalp & forehead are looking a touch better. (Maybe that's just wishful thinking) Did you buy any of that Balneum yet? x
  • Hi KouklaMoo,

Although Finley is still scratching a couple of problem parts of his legs, there does seem to be an improvement there as the skin definately looks less patchy and red from just using his diprobase. Hopefully once his scabbies have all gone then the itching will calm down even more. However he now has a few spotties back on his tummy and he scratched one of his cheeks to the point of bleeding again yesterday! It's so upsetting, i did shed a few tears yesterday over it :cry:

Glad Teddy's showing signs of improvement. Lets hope it continues for him and for you! Hows things looking for him this morning? I always find the morning is a little worse. I guess as he hasn't had any cream applied for so many hours whereas during the day i'm slathering the stuff on!

No i didn't buy any of that Balneum. I'm going to probably make another appointment with one of our nice GP's next week to talk things through again and take it from there. I would ideally like for him to have a allergy test to see if it's food related or anything else. Like you, it's been going on for so long it's hard to pinpoint certain things.

xx
  • My DD has bad eczema and has been given various creams. She is 2 years 9 months and has suffered since about being 12 months old. We started off just using aqueous (sp) cream, but after a few months the eczema got worse so the doctor prescribed betnovate (sp) a steriod cream along with washing her using aqueous cream. In the summer the heat made it worse so she had to take piriton medicine. The same doctor gave me more betnovate and said there was nothing else we could do. Then when I was getting DS weighed a in December the HV saw it on DD's hands and asked what we were using. I told her and said prescribed us oilatum cream and the same stuff for the bath. But in the last few weeks it has gotten so bad that her skin has cracked open , is bright red and she scratches it like mad in bed. I made an appointment at the doctors again and the receptionist gtold me one of our doctors works in the hospital dermatology department and she would be the best one to see about DD's skin. So we saw her last Friday and she was very helpful. She said the steroid cream the other doctor had prescribed was too strong and she's given us one more suitable for DD's skin. She also prescribed doublebase gel, bath oil and handwash. So far so good! In a week the difference in the redness can be seen!

I don't use any bath/washing products as I found Johnsons bath stuff made it worse for DD. It really is trial and error until you find a cream that works.

Hope it clears up soon.

• Hi jellyfishpink,

Thanks very much for your info. What a long time it took for your DD to finally get something that agrees with her. Lets hope it continues to work. I may well suggest the doublebase next time we go.

It's just so frustrating that it's all about trial and error as it takes so long to find something that works. I think we'll be heading back to the GP to see what we can do next. So much for thinking we were on the up, he is now scratching his arm and it seems to have got worse over his neck now. So frustrating, especially when you think you've got it heading in the right direction.

xx
  • Yes, I had a mini cry earlier today too and then pulled myself together quick smart!

Poor Finley, so is he itching more on his body than his head? Teddy's is all around his head and scalp and he's taken to flailing his head left and right when he's being fed now too! Grrrrrr. He does also have little patches in all in creases but i haven't noticed him being so bothered about them, although he probably can't reach them just yet.

I found some Zinc and Caster oil cream in Boots today, only ??1.40ish so got some of that to try if the Diprobase doesn't show any signs of improvement, it looks similar to Vaseline. My Sis-in-law said her youngest was exactly the same and the only thing that worked on him was good old fashioned Vaseline! She said it looked horrible and he felt like a giant slimeball BUT it worked, and she said she tried everything going. So I suppose there's a possibilty it's in the genes on hubby's side.

Thanks for that info Jellyfishpink, I can't believe your DD has suffereed for so long before being treated with the correct cream. I'm glad to hear you're noticing a difference, fingers crossed for her.

At this rate poor Teddy isn't going to experience bubble baths for a long long timeimage

I don't use anything in his bath either, I never have, other than the Oilatum. I can't wait to give him a lovely bubbly bath.

Keep me posted NIKKINOOS,

Moo x
  • Bless you, can't be easy - it's such a difficult thing to just get rid of image Hope something works soon xx
  • I agree Moo, i can't wait to give Finley a lovely bubble bath but i'm not sure he will ever be able to have one at this rate! I also don't use anything else in the bath, just plain old water.

His head although it looks a little dry hasn't seemed to bother him recently (touch wood). His scabby cheek looks a lot better this morning whereas it usually takes ages to heal as he keeps scratching at it. Also, his neck looks less red today. Hubby got him ready this morning and said his legs felt a lot better and they certainly look better now the scabbies are healing. He seems to have picked up again today. Let's hope it continues as it is still early! One thing is for sure and that is that although he is still suffering he is better off without the Oilatum so i guess that's a step in the right direction. I'm just impatient and want a quick fix answer!

Let me know if you try the zinc and caster oil cream and how you get on. xx
  • Hey NIKKINOOS!

How's Finley doing? Any change?

I gave the Zinc and Caster oil cream a go on the weekend and it seems to be doing the job! LO still has a really dry scalp but that's obviously down to the Cradle Cap and the fact that I've stopped lathering Olive Oil all over his head but......his forehead, behind his ears, and the creases behind his knees and elbows seem to have improved!

Teddy hasn't been itching half as much, and there's no red raised areas. He looks so much more comfortable now, even when he gets out of the bath, which was normally the time when it would flare up.

So I would definitely recommend trying it out for Finley.

My Dad said that my Grandad used it loads and swore by it.

I hope you have some good news too

Moo x
  • Hi Moo,

So glad Teddy has shown an improvement since using the zinc and caster oil cream. Hopefully that should sort him out and give him a lot more relief from the horrid eczema. What a relief for you!

I am pleased to report that Finley has also shown signs of improvement. I noticed that he was worse in the morning and after a nap. We then realised over the weekend that the sheet he slept on was mainly polyester and also one of his pairs of trousers were also mainly polyester so we switched to a 100% cotton sheet and trousers and things seem to really be improving already in only a couple of days. His neck has cleared up and his face looks a lot better. He still itches occasionally on his legs but a lot less and his legs don't look angry at all and are pretty soft compared to what they were. Wahoo! Let's hope it continues! x
  • Oh good, I'm soooooo glad. I might actually double check T's sheets too.

I changed them on one occasion due to the fact that I thought some of the Aqueous cream may have rubbed off his head and then remained on the sheets but hadn't thought about the polyester thing.

I think I spoke a little too soon today as T was itching a little more but I really think it has something to do with heat and/or tiredness too. OMG......it's such a guessing game isn't it. Onwards and upwardsimage