Forum home Babies Baby
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Evenings..... Pls share your routine

Hi all,

My little girl is 11 weeks old and we put her to bed at 11pm after her final bottle and then she doesn't wake until 7am! It's great that she sleeps so long, but I'm not sure how to get her bed time brought forward to 7.30pm? I know she is still young and now is too early to expect this to happen yet. The problem is that she is getting so tired in the evenings now that we really don't know what to do with her! We don't put her to bed from 7.30pm til 11pm, she just snoozes on either me or my husband until bed time at 11pm.

Please can you help me by sharing with me what you do in the evenings with your baby? Someone mentioned to me to put her to bed at 7.30pm and she will probably wake about 3am for a bottle, but as she sleeps through the night so well at the moment I don't want to risk it all going to pot! Aggghhh, it's so hard to know what to do for the best. Any suggestions would be gratefully received.

Thanks xx

Replies

• Hi

From when my dd was born to about 4 weeks old we used to do the same, she would stay up till we went to bed then she would wake up maybe twice in the night.

From 5 weeks old we started a routine where we would bath her at 6.15pm bottle then in bed for 7pm. I would then get her up inbetween 10 and 10.30pm (when we went to bed) and give her a feed and change then straight back to bed and she would wake around 7.30am.

From about 12 weeks I stopped getting her up and used to just give her a dream feed whilst she was in her cot, only 3oz and put her dummy back in and she would then sleep through till 7.30am.

dd is now 18 weeks ols and I stopped the dream feed just over a week ago, so her routines goes like this, 6.15pm bath, milk then bed by 7pm, she sometimes wakes around 4am so we put her dummy in and she goes back off to sleep and will finally wake around 7am. I then give her a bottle and then she goes back to bed for anything inbetween 30 and 60mins.

This has worked perfect for us, she doesnt sleep as much in the day time and when she sleeps its only for 30 mins at a time but I dont mind as she is such a good sleeper at night.

I would try and get her to bed at 7.30pm as soon as possible and get her into a bedtime routine.

Good Luck, hope this helps x
  • She'll probably move her bedtime herself eventually- you could try starting her bedtime routine (ie bottle pjs sleeping bag) 9ish put her to bed and see what happens, my dd did exactly the same and from about 4/5 months was going to bed at 7 and sleeping through (though she slept 11-7 from 5 weeks) x

edited to add we used to stack feeds uptowards bedtime, so she'd have a feed at 7 then I'd feed her again at 9 (and do bedtime routine) and then feed/df at 11 depending on if she was awake. As long as she sleeps a good chunk now provided you df/feed at your bedtime she should keep going through x
  • YOu could try putting her to bed earlier and then dream feeding at 11?

I was always lucky in that LO chose his bedtimes - started at 9pm and he brought them forward himself. But . . .he has never slept through the night lol.

• We did exactly what you do until our LO was 6 months. She started sleeping on the sofa rather than on us though from about 5 months but we were due to go on holiday and I didn't want to start a new bedtime routine to mess it all up a couple of weeks later.

Our first night back from holiday we bathed her, gave her a bottle and put her to bed - we still dream feed her when we go up about 10.30-11. Surprisingly she has taken to it really well, she was ready to go to bed earlier and I suppose I kept her up for selfish reasons, and I actually feel bad that she is upstairs on her own :lol: how silly am I?!

I would do what Snugglenush has suggested and put her to bed after bath etc then just feed when you go up to bed. x
  • Our DD was exactly the same. She would sleep on us in the lounge amd would cluster feed (still bf).

When she was around the same age as your daughter, I started bathing her about 7 ish, she'd then have a play, then we gradually brought forward her bedtime. We had the tv on in the lounge so there was always too much going on. As soon as we introduced calm time she brought her bedtime forward herself. Now Hubby gets her ready for bed and she has her last feed around 8 in a quiet, dark room and sleeps through til 6.30/7.00. I was always worried about changing too much in case she started waking in the night again, so I know what you mean. Xx