Forum home Babies Baby

Easy first finger foods.

Hi there

I've just started BLW and was after some ideas for easy first foods to try. I read a book that recommended green beans to start with so tried that yesterday but I found it a bit too worrying, watching that been being sucked in and out and seeing it waggle round in there! I need some to find some easy to manage, easy to chew/swallow foods that will let Liv get the hang of it, without giving me a heart attack!

Thanks for your help.XXX

Replies

• Banana was a favourite of mine. I left a bit of the skin on so that it is easy to hold and i felt comfortable letting him have it because it was nice and soft and let both him and me get the hang of BLW.

Carrot sticks and broccoli florets (steamed) were another favourite in the beginning
  • With my daughter we started with bananas, rusks and rice cakes. Boiled carrot sticks and green beans were a favourite, still are. Sadly it can be a bit worrying watching them learn to chew, they will make retching sounds and gestures, they will put too much food in their mouth and not know how to get it out. Try not to jump in to quickly to rescue them as it is all part of the learning process, even if it gives us parents skipped heartbeats doing it.
  • We didn't do BLW, but started with finger foods alongside puree at 6 months. We started off with cucumber sticks, toast soldiers and ella's kitchen baby cookies. I tested everything first to see if it was easily suckable as I was a bit paranoid!
  • I echo wif with the broccoli suggestion. It means you can cook it as soft as you are comfortable with. My DD still loves it at 12 months x
  • Broccoli is great, so is cauliflower.

Also battons of carrot, butternut squash, sweet potato, courgette, parsnip, normal potato wedges. I tend to roast most of Erin's veggies as she much prefers the flavour. 15 mins in some olive oil for little finger size battons is about right - soft without being mushy!

Green beans are actually chewy for babies, you have to cook them for a long time until they are soft enough to eat, and then they may not taste of much!

Have you read the blw book by Gill Rapley? It's very good and suggests lots of ideas for first foods.