Forum home Babies Baby

Question about Bumbo seat

Hi all,

A friend of mine gave me a bumbo seat as her lo had out grown it but she didn'thave the instructions or box. I was just wondering if someone else who has one could tell me when you are able to put your baby in them? Do they need to be sitting up themselves or holding their head? I'm guessing my DD will need to be holding her head up, to be honest i haven't had a proper look at it yet. Any help would be appriciated. Thanks x x

Replies

• They should have good head control but don't need to be sitting up on their own.
  • they have also had bad press tbh. they have been criticised for the unnatural position the baby's back / legs are in. there have been a numer of accidents as babies have pushed their feet on the ground and tipped themselves over, and there have been serious incidents when this has happened when parents have had the child in the bumbo on a table and they've fallen to the floor!!! i know some people swear by them to stick baby in but i never got one or mine as the negatives far outweighed the positives.
  • we used it from 17 weeks he had good head control by then and LO was sitting up unaided well before 6 months with it, we used it for weaning with him on the floor in it, he seemed very comfy but as he learnt to move about and almost get himself out of it we switched to the highchair when we started family meals,

the instructions clearly say not to leave the baby unattended which i wouldnt anyway and to use on the floor not high or uneven surfaces, you should be able to get the instructions off the website x
  • We've used our bumbo since my lo was about four months. She was sitting up by herself. She is now 11 months and we still use it for breakfast as its so much easier than getting the highchair out! she hasnt tipped it over or anything like that. We have only really used it for mealtimes though, she has always been too much of a fidget to sit still for long!
  • we use ours on the dining room table. he sits in the centre of the table and is never left alone for a second. If someone knocks on the door I lift him down to the floor bumbo, tray, food and all so it's safe to step away from him. He won't sit in it to play, but when there's food around you put him in and he reaches for his tray to be put on knowing food comes next. They definitely could tip tho, so you have to be careful. But that's true of anything you put your baby in!!!
  • For us, the bumbo was great. When they are at the transition stage from lying down to sitting up they can get frustrated. It is great for them to see the world from a different perspective. Indeed they have their risks, just like anything else, but they shouldn't be left in them unattended anyway.x