Forum home Babies Baby
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

weaning!

So I know that the answer is probably going to be just keep at it but i'm having a bit if a nightmare with weaning my daughter. We started to introduce soilds very gradually from 5 months as she was very interested in foods and wanted to work with this rather than because I thought she really needed it. We began well and she'd open her mouth and suck food from the spoon however we've slowly gone backwards and now i'm lucky if I can get one spoon in before she clamps her mouth tightly closed and then it is impossible to get anymore into her. I've tried some finger foods which she'll sometimes have a go at but often not. I'm reluctant to totally go down the blw route as I think that it'll take her a long time to work up to getting enough and that she really does seem hungry between feeds now (she's just over six months). So if anyone has any advice orideas they would be gratefully received! X

Replies

• My DD got very fussy with her food when weaning, wolfing down certain foods and rejecting others. Odd as it sounds one of the best tricks is to mix a sweet tasting food (yoghurt/puree/custard) with the more nutritious meal you want them to eat, they taste the sweet and open their mouth wider to take in all of it. It's not easy and does take some perseverence (also if you can bear the mess, it can help to let them play with the food so they know what they are putting in their mouth).
  • Hi there,

My DD is 8 months old now and doing well on solids.

I think the main point for us is to introduce new foods gradually. We also like to divert her attention away from the eating process by singing or having a soft toy around. Or my husband will sit at the the other side of the chair and sing while i feed her from the other side.

The last tip was great too about the sweetcorn. We have started mixing this in too and she loves it ! image
  • my boy twin was easy from the start, my little girl twin however is only just getting into it after 5 LONG months...

I try a mix of finger foods and purees, and my little girl wouldn't have the spoon in her mouth/open her mouth etc. She now feeds herself with a spoon when she's in the mood.

For a little while at the beginning, I got her to eat a tiny bit of food from my clean finger. Also, let your little one see, smell, touch, play with the food and eventually they may try to put a little in their mouth - by this I don't mean eventually as in at one meal, I mean over days. Try hard not to show your stress.

I have been so so frustrated at times and I have to try extremely hard even now to be chilled about it - I'm not always, but I try hard not to let them see it.

Good luck

• Thanks ladies. It's so hard and you are all right in what you are saying - you kind of know it and keep telling yourself this but it does help to hear it from others too! Thanks again! x