Forum home Babies Baby
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Work has refused my pt request

Hi ladies,

Just received a letter from my work saying that they won't give me reduced working hours. They say that it would have a detrimental effect on the team.

I'm gutted. I'm due back at the end of august, and I have To goback until January 2012 as it's part of my maternity package.

Just can't imagine being away from my baby for 5 days out of 7. It actually makes me feel sick at the thought of it. I'm going to miss out on so much.

Can anyone offer any words of advice? Has anyone gone back ft and found that it's actually ok?

Feeling very sad image

Replies

• Hi, I'm sorry to hear that your workplace has declined your application (mine did the same so I handed in my notice as I used to work shifts and finding childcare to start at 4.30am would have meant all my earnings and some of my DH going towards it, in short it wasn't financially viable). My sister did go back to work fulltime when my nephew was 5mths old and has had no problems. Advice is to try and wean baby onto bottle/cup drinking and any solid foods before you are due to return so that you have done it and are not relying on careworkers to do it for you. Also my sister found it easier having a nursery close to where she worked so that seperation was kept to minimum. Good luck
  • Have you suggested a job share? My sister had her application refused, but is now going back to do a jobshare?

xxx
  • I didn't go back part time but I reduced my hours and only worked until 4.15pm instead of 5.30pm Monday to Friday. I found this ok and my in laws watched my daughter for a few months but then my husband went part time and started to look after her. I will be doing the same hours when I return to work after having no2 due on 1st August.
  • So sorry to hear they have done that. I'm back full time, and its fine, not brilliant, but fine. It's hard to keep on top of things but you get there. I'm lucky that lo only has to go to nursery 2 days, is with his dad 2 days and mil 1 day. Hope you get something worked out xx