Forum home Babies Baby

Anyone never been around babies or toddlers until they had their own?

I was just wondering if any of you new mummies had never actually be around babies until they had their own? And if so how did you cope? I have no friends with children and no siblings/cousins either and have never therefore really been near babies (or any aged child for that matter!!) My childhood friend's brother lived 400 miles away from us now but brought his family home for a weekend visit. He had a 10 month old and I had no idea what to say or how to interact. All I could think was "she's cute" lol. So I am now a bit worried as I was so excited about ttc but realised I had no clue at all about children, never mind babies.

Replies

• i think even if you have experience with babies its nothing like having your own, we all learn once the baby is here as each baby and mummy is different,

i didnt have that much experience apart from my babysitting years as a young teen a long time ago and i was the first in our group of friends to have a baby, its not easy and you dont instantly become an expert but with time you learn you babies needs, what thier crys mean, what they like and dislike etc

good luck x
  • I had never been around babies, was never all that broody, never maternal but oh god having my daughter is the best thing in the world, so much so that I'm doing it all again!!! I still don't like other peoples kids much but I can tell you now I'm an amazing Mummy, it's the best thing I've ever done, it's like I now know the reason for me!!! You will learn, your baby will teach you and you will become an expert not in children in general but in your own hellllll yerrrrr!!!!!

Good luck!!! xxx
  • That makes me feel a bit better - thanks. I do understand that every baby/mummy is different but I just figured if a woman had been around babies it might give them a little headstart (even knowing how to hold them lol!) Littlelynsuk your reply is so positive - you sound like you love being a mummy and what you said about becoming an expert in your own is really reassuring. Fingers cross hubby and me get there one day. Guess it is a huge learning curve!
  • Me!

I didn't have any experience of children at all - I'm an only child so have never even had brothers or sisters around. A couple of our friends have got children and I never knew what to say to them or how to say it, and kids never really seemed to take to me either. I was so worried that I wouldn't know what to do with our baby or how to talk to him, or that he wouldn't like me. Even when I was pregnant I didn't really know what to say to my bump and didn't feel particularly maternal.

Our little boy arrived in March and since then I have learnt so quickly. He is the best thing that has ever happened to me and my hubby and we love him so much. The first week or so after my hubby went back to work I was still a bit awkward and felt silly talking to him, especially as he didn't really respond. Now he's nearly 10 weeks old and talking to him and playing with him is second nature. He's a lot more responsive now and when he smiles it's just wonderful.

So don't worry, you will be fine! Being a Mummy takes some getting used to at the beginning but you will quickly get the hang of it image

Good luck ttc too!

xx
  • Millie you sound exactly like me lol. I can completely imagine feeling quite silly talking to any baby (esp if others are around)...nice to know you got in the swing of things quickly.
  • honestly it will all just fall into place naturally. my little boy is 3 weeks and 2 days now and until he was born I had never held a baby in my life, let alone looked after one or changed a nappy. being a mummy is the most amazing job in the world x
  • Hi Michelle

I'm exactly the same. I have cousins with kids but they're all quite a bit older than me and live a fair distance away.

I worry that I won't know what to do, but hubby tells me you soon learn (he grew up with relatives with young kids).
  • You will be fine!

I never thought I would find it easy to be maternal but it just comes naturally really. Still not sure whether it's completely hit me that I am a mummy yet though!

xx
  • I had never been around babies, was never all that broody, never maternal but oh god having my daughter is the best thing in the world, so much so that I'm doing it all again!!! I still don't like other peoples kids much but I can tell you now I'm an amazing Mummy, it's the best thing I've ever done, it's like I now know the reason for me!!! You will learn, your baby will teach you and you will become an expert not in children in general but in your own hellllll yerrrrr!!!!!

Good luck!!! xxx

littleLyns has almost quoted exactly how I feel/felt (except I'm not doing it again just yet - mores the pity) I only felt broody about 6 mths pre ttc before that was never overwhelmed by babies (although since having my own newborns make me gooey) So many people say it comes naturally and they are so so right, I never thought I'd be your mother earth type but I adore being a mummy it makes everything else pale in comparison. Dont get me wrong it is a bit of a baptism of fire and to begin with you're all finding your feet but its an amazing learning curve!!

Good luck xxx
  • I'd never held a baby/been around babies before I had my own.

I had been around young children though, as I worked in a playgroup for a bit before I got pregnant.

To be honest with you, I was absolutely horrified the first time I held my daughter, I didn't realise how DELICATE they are, my mum kept snapping at me to support her head, but now, nearly a year later, it's me telling her that she's holding her wrong, hah!

Try not to worry about it, it all comes naturally (or so they say!)

xxx
  • i was so worried about this before my lo was born. I was too nervous to hold friends babies etc as i wasnt sure how to do it. ( sounds silly now!) However, the first night I was in the hospital with my lo I learnt so quickly to pick her up, change her etc. Because you have to you learn very quickly! I remember the nurse coming in to see me and commenting that i was holding my lo like an expert and feeling so chuffed image