Forum home Babies Baby
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

SMP qualification question (also in planning)

Hi all, I'm after a little advice and hope someone can help. (I usually post in BIM and Baby)

OH and I are thinking about when to start TTC for baby no.2 but there may be some changes in my place of work, meaning my job may not be too secure.

My question is regarding SMP qualification as I may be in a new job by the time we begin TTC. I have looked on the HMRC website and am slightly confused. It advises the following:

* you must have worked continuously - full or part-time - for at least 26 weeks up to and into the 15th week before the week the baby's due.

So, my calculations are that 15 weeks before due date would mean you are 25 weeks into your pregnancy. Does this mean you could start a new job, and if you get pregnant a week later, you would then be entitled to SMP? This doesn't sounds right to me :? (btw, I'm not saying this is what I am planning on doing, but would like to be 100% sure of qualificatino criteria)

Thanks for any advice, NTT xx

Replies

• basically you have to have been employed 26 weeks by the time you are 25 weeks pregnant (or 15 weeks before due date) as long as you are working there one week longer than your pregnancy you're fine (or 4 weeks prior to your BFP) x
  • just wanted to add if you go from one job to another and they cannot give you SMP you can claim maternity allowance which is the same amount i think, worth having a look into that,
  • Thanks ladies ;o)

NTT xxx