Forum home Babies Baby
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Sleep problems, any advice?

Hi, hope everyone is well.

My daughter is 4 months old, she used to go to sleep so easily, you could put her down after a cuddle to make her sleepy and off she would settle. Once or twice you would have to pop her dummy back in.

After her 16wk injections she has completely changed with her sleep, she screams when tired and literally fights and kicks, we have to rock her and hold the dummy in her mouth for ages to get her to sleep, when we put her in her crib she wakes after 10 mins and it takes up to an hour to resettle her, and she can wake again!! She spits her dummy out but wont settle without it either. If i put her straight in the crib she screams the house down and kicks and throws her arms around.

We are at a loss what to do, it has been 3 weeks of this now. She wakes 3 times in the night for a feed but settles straight away then, often without the dummy as she is sleepy. She wont settle during the day easily either, unless in the car or swing chair.

Anyone else experiencing this? Any ideas what we can do?

Thanks ladies x

Replies

• didnt wanna read n run as yourve had loads views n no advice bless!

I've been on both ends of the coin with the sleep really....my eldest was a complete nightmare and i didnt crack her sleep probs til she was 2 and 1/2!!! but my youngest whos 8months is an angel sleep wise.

The thing i did different this time was to use a controlled crying technique.... (the thought of it on my 1st nearly had me in tears...and i always thought it to be cruel...but its not and it really works!!)

I make sure all her needs r met...shes bathed, changed, fed...then i take her to her room...tuck her into her sleeping bag and turn her mobile on and say goodnight. (i stay calm and try to keep my stress levels as low as poss...as she really picks up on my anxiety. I leave the room whether shes crying or not (in the early days she was always screaming when i left....now only once in a blue moon)....I leave her to try and settle for 5 mins! (i find going down stairs and doing housework distracts me from the crying(and helps get ahead of the chores).... after 5mins i go in and stroke her face...say ssssh and give a dummy if necessary....i only stay for 1min or so and then leave again. i then leave for 10mins and repeat...i personally never leave her for more than 10mins.

I know it sounds cruel i use to think that....but now the way i see it is all her needs r met... (i dont do this technique of shes teething or sick..then instead i sit nxt to her cot til she drops off)...and im simply learning her to sleep independantly.

Look...i dont know if this kinda thing would suit u or ya baby....but surely if things r that bad its worth a go!

good luck....hope i havent babbled and have made some sense....heres hoping u get a good nights sleep soon xx
  • Thank you, yesterday and today I have strongly suspected teething so will wait and see. If not I will try the controlled crying - scary though! Thanks again x