Forum home Babies Baby
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Best feeding bottle

Hi everyone, I'd be really grateful if you could post your thoughts on which baby feeding bottles have worked really well for you, and why. Things like if you bought a certain brand for value, ease of use, anti-colic properties etc, etc. I'm doing a report for the Oct issue and would love your feedback. Thanks so much, Alison, Consumer Editor

Replies

• I like MAM Anti Colic bottles. They're really easy and self-sterilising in the microwave.

I used Avent with my first lo and both Avent and Tommee Tippee with my second, but DS3 would get really bad colic with anything but MAM.

Having said that, my lo only has 1 bottle per day as I am mainly breastfeeding.

T xx
  • Thanks Poppygirl1, MAM will be delighted to read your thoughts! Alison
  • I tried every brand under the sun to get my breastfed son to take a bottle. After 5 weeks of tears and tantrums, we finally got success with a Dr. Brown's bottle with a MAM teat! The Dr. Browns mechanism meant he could drink the whole bottle without stopping (if he had to stop for air bubbles etc, he would stop altogether) and the MAM teat is the only teat he could suck without pushing out with his breast-feeding tongue thrust. I guess the flattened shape also helps as its similar to the effect of a breastfed baby pushing the nipple against the roof of their mouth.
  • We struggled for nearly 5 months to get LO to take a bottle, DH did some investigating after i had a meltdown (i found BF really hard but there was no route out)and read about Playtex bottles, they are from the USA (he had been reading American forums) They were my saviour, thankfully there are a few UK sellers but you can only get them online. Their Drop in's system is what we use, it's a pre sterilised bag which collapses down as the milk is drunk, so no air bubbles and less wind, it also is more like a breast emptying. The teats are Latex and are much much softer than the silicone ones and she was able to latch on straight away and was actually happy to see a bottle, where previously she screamed the house down the moment she saw someone even approach her with a bottle. 3 months down the line (and thankfully just as i approach a return to work) she now takes a bottle for all her milk feed. I have an American friend who also uses them and she thinks we should petition Playtex into releasing the bottles over here - they have saved my sanity and that of others that i have recommended them to.
  • I struggled for months and months to get my breastfed daughter to take a bottle. I tried every bottle under the sun, with no luck. Someone told me about the MAM Ultivent bottles and straight away she took to it- definately the perfect teat!! I recommend them to everyone I know now, and dd2 has no trouble mixed feeding from them too image
  • We have used Nuk bottles from 10 weeks onwards. My son was 10 weeks premature so was tube fed for 8 weks and thena cople of days BF, which just didn't work and he was so small we didn't have the time to perservere so we went to half EBM and half FF using a NUK bottle.

Bright colourful designs with practical anti-colic features, worked a treat on a reflux baby
  • My daughter is mainly breastfed and I was bought TTCTN bottles, personally I think they are awful I would definately not buy them again. The lids are a pain in the backside to get on and off, it is too easy to mis-screw them and they leak everywhere. My daughter was not exactly a fan and my HV advised that the teats were not the most suitable for combi feeding so I ended up buying cheapy sainsburys ones. If my daughter had stuck with bottles (and she now refuses TT althogether) I think I would have ditched them and tried something else. There is a reason they are always dirt cheap in the baby events. She also had quite bad colic and they definately didn't help. My sister uses breasflow and her son struggled with tongue tie to breastfeed and he gets on really well with them. Will definately not be using TT next time round.
  • I second (third?) MAM bottles! I brought all the TT kits when pregnant (bottles, sterilizer, breast pump, dummies) as they were all on offer, and moved to combined feeding at about 3 months. DD really didn't get on with the teats, and both nans found them quite difficult to hold. She also refused the TT dummies.

We moved to MAM and she had no problem with taking ebf or formula from the bottles and breastfeeding, she loved the dummies (a life saver as she liked to comfort suck!) and we haven't looked back. As they are self sterilizing it also means you need less kit, so more space in the kitchen and great for travelling. Yay MAM!

Elf & Esme
  • Comotomo bottles are great They're the only ones my EBF baby will take. They're softer silicone and easy to wash/ clean since they're wide-mouthed. The larger size is great even for small babies - it's easier to hold and is better value. but wanna ask you about Avent bottles, I found this review and wanna ask you what is the best baby bottles did you used?

• My son is 4 week old. Always bottle fed. Used tommee tippee closer to nature. He took to them straight away. Not had colic or any probs image