Forum home Babies Baby
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

routine? yes or no????

i am not sure about this, my 3 month old fights everything i do,bottles at different times,short and long naps,waking at feeding time ect. am i fighting a loosing battle? is it really natural to expect such standards,eating/napping in set order? we dont do this as adults! yet on the other hnad they have structure and its easier. what do you guys all think and do?>

Replies

• Options
    hello,

I am very much against routine. I tried with my first DD to stick to a routine and got myself in such a state, as she had her own agenda. Once I started following her lead and just going with the flow I really enjoyed her more.

This time round I have a 6 week old DS and again i am following his lead. Every day and night is different, yesterday he had a feeding frenzy day and today he is sleeping loads! I am just going along with him.

I wake him and feed him just before I need to go out if i have plans and he seems happy with this, so I don't have to change any of my plans. He is an easy baby mind you.

Some people LOVE routines and they work wonderfully for their babies which is great, but for me I like going with my babies lead.

My DD is now 2 years old and has a fabulous routine for meals, snacks and bedtime which she has got herself into from about 9 months.

Just go with what feels right for you and your baby xxxx
  • Options
    We naively read all the books (you know the ones :roll: ) before DD arrived and then got ourselves in a complete state because she wouldn't follow them! We ended up following her lead and just settled into our own routine at about 5 months and she's kind of adapted it herself (if that makes sense). She's now 16 months and in a very rigid routine but just out of habit, not enforcing it. I would say just to let it evolve. The only thing I did persist with routine wise was a bath and bedtime routine. I have a DS due in 2 and a half weeks so I have no idea how this will all work with one in a routine and one not! x
  • Options
    its hard to do with 2,especially as you tired so implenting something seems hard work.
  • Options
    I also read loads of books before my first, strict routines, relaxed routines, and tried both ways. In the end I realised I was getting myself stressed out with no benefits. The baby knows when its hungry or needs to sleep or needs a cuddle and every baby is different so what works for one will probably not work for others.

Go with the flow I'd say. I did and we naturally fell into a series of routines. He'd follow one for a few weeks then would change to another. Because I wasn't putting pressure on myself to be strict with him and kept flexible, it was easy to adapt.

Again, the only one I did do and still do, despite him being 29 months, was the bedtime routine.

Just do what you feel is best for your baby. No one knows him like you do!
  • Options
    Similarily I let my dd decide and she is now in a fairly structured routine, all of her own making, at 9 months.

I wasted a lot of time stressing about her being aawake when I thought she should be sleeping, getting into feeding schedules etc and it made no difference. She still did what suited her!

xx
  • Options
    they say babies no what they want!
  • Options
    I think when you have 1 or 2 young babies, it's not so important to be in a daily routine. But when you have kids at school and a baby and you work, everything can run much smoother if you're in a routine (easier said than done).

I wouldn't stress over being in a routine mind, especially with such young babies, feed when hungry, let them sleep when they're tired. They'll fall into a natural pattern as they get a little older.

With my 3rd on the way, I'm really panicking about routine!! I have a slight routine but nothing strict and structured. I want to be in a better routine with the 3rd baby cos I'm scared I'm not gonna be able to stay on top of anything (housework, laundry etc!).