Forum home Babies Baby
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Putting baby down to nap

Hi all,

I wondered where everyone puts their babies to nap.

My DS is 7 weeks old and he will only really nap in the day when he is being held. If i do manage to put him down i have to have been holding him for a long time beforehand to get him into a deep sleep and then he usually wakes shortly after i've put him down and then cries as if he's been abandoned!

DS is exclusively breastfed.

I'd love for him to be able to self-settle a bit more and get into a routine of being in his crib for naps but it just doesn't happen. Any sdvice would be appreciated!

X

Replies

• keep trying, you will start to notice that he stays alseep a little longer each itme and it will get easier. Gve him something to snuggle that he falls asleep with on you and then takes with him into his cot

Good luck image
  • DD is 7 weeks tomorrow ans has only just started to go down, day time is still difficult as she cat naps, but she will go donw at night, we found keeping her downstairs there were too many distractions so we started putting her upstairs in her crib at about half seven after a feed, she has so far settled well, she is also BF but has a dummy too but mostly she will fall asleep without it, x
  • You can also get some thoughts from various websites that supply free baby footprint designs.
  • No advice as such but my 3 month old is the same. We've tried to get him down on his own but he will still only sleep if held or next to me.

Keep working on it and putting him down. Try to put him down when he's awake but sleepy so he can learn to self settle. Give him a muslin/blanky to sleep with that smells of you.

My ds associates sleep with breastfeeding now so quite difficult to break this habit and get him to settle by himself. Would love for him to go down in his cot in the day. Will probably try controlled crying when he's older if he's still not settling.

Let us know how you get on. xxx
  • thanks ladies. I havn't been on for a week so have only just read these. I like the idea of him taking something that smells of me to bed with him and will keep trying and let you know how it goes x
  • Hi Ladies,

Our DS (nearly 4 weeks) sleeps during day either in pram if we're out, on mine or husbands chest if being held or sometimes in moses basket. I think we need to be more consistent at putting him in basket to sleep if we are home so he gets better at going down to sleep so we are trying to put him in moses basket after feed & change around 7pm. We hope to improve his night sleeping as currently he likes falling asleep on us or at breast before going in moses basket and sometimes gets really worked up when put down but isn't hungry, wet, dirty etc.

I've been reading the baby whisperer book. Has anyone else read or tried this? I like that it doesn't encourage leaving crying baby but does help you teach your baby to self soothe. I aso think it makes sense to do activity (inc, changing etc) after feed so sleep not associated with feeding but think in reality this is much harder to do especially at night! :roll:

Good luck all

Linds
  • My advice is to read The Baby Whisperer. She has brilliant advice on teaching your baby to self settle even from an early age (with no crying it out). She also teaches about a routine that involves not BFing your baby to sleep. You feed when they wake up, let them 'play' and then when they need to sleep you put them down. Then when they wake up, you feed again etc. I can really recommend that book.
  • had this with DS when he was a baby. Turns out he absoluty hated his crib, so would only fall asleep in his bouncy chair or on me. At 3 weeks old, we moved him into his cot, and hey presto, I had a napping newborn!! Just an idea! image
  • Hi all,

JUst to update you, I spoke to my health visitor and she advsied that h is still very young to be looking to introduce this type of routine. She said to just go with the flow with what works for us, and to be honest I was getting more stressed out by trying to force this routine on him and it not working, so I think I'm going to just stick with what baby wants at the moment. She said that between 4-6 months is the best time to introduce the routine.

She also mentioned that you qant baby to associate their crib/cot with nighttime, so if they are always napping in their crib/cot in the day it may make them 'reject' their crib/cot at nighttime, which would be a nightmare for bedtimes then!

x x
  • Honestly I don't think there is a "too young" age to introduce a gentle routine. But, if it's making you stressed then take it at your own pace.

I used the EASY routine with my DS2 (who was exculsively BF) which I think is from the Baby Whisperer, although I haven't read the whole book. It helps to break the association between breast/bottle and sleep, I would recommend it.

Both my DS have napped in their cribs/cots when in the house. I have no idea why your HV thinks this might make them reject their bed at night. Sticking to a bedtime routine at night will teach LO that their crib/cot is a nice, safe, comfy place to sleep and also help them to distinguish between daytime naps and night sleep.

Good luck with whatever you chose x