Forum home Babies Baby

Paranoid new mum, bit scared and anxious

Emily is 10 weeks old today. she had her first injections on thursday so was a bit sicky friday and saturday. Shes generally hitting her milestones, shes been smiling for about 4 weeks, giggling for about a week, not belly laughs but definite giggles. Shes been cooing etc for about 2 weeks. shes sleeping for 5 or 6 even 7 hours straight at night. But for the last 48 hours shes been a bit 'off it' shes not drinking as much as I would like, tho she is still feeding regularly, but shes not wanting to make eye contact much, not 'chattering', i fight for her attention and then i will be rewarded with a few smiles if she feels like 'talking'. I read something about autism and evasive eyes last night on a link from google and now (me being prone to anxiety) i cant shake the fear that shes developing some more sinister problem. this morning when i was dressing her she was staring right at me and smiling, then as i was getting ready she was following me around the room with her eyes and head. I know these are good signs, but this afternoon again, shes a bit distracted. Should I be worried?? Or am I, as I hope and suspect, being over paranoid?

Replies

• Definitely being over paranoid. And believe me, if you can, let go of that now. Stop looking at dates and times for when baby should be doing this or that. Babies hit milestones when they're ready. I've sent myself mad looking for this and that, comparing my son to him or her, and he does it, just a day or a eek or a month later. Don't stress about it - if you do you end up missing out on enjoying the little moments because you're so busy thinking about ticking things off a list.

Sounds like your little one is doing brilliantly! Also be aware that when they are working on a new skill, they sometimes forget an older skill for a while. Look at the Wonder Weeks book (or app for iphone) x