Forum home Babies Baby
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Anyone else fight to brush their babies' teeth?

Hiya,

I have to virtually clamp my daughters mouth open and hold her arms back so she'll let me brush her teeth properly. If I let her do it she just eats the toothpaste!!

Anyone else struggle to brush babies teeth and if so have you any ideas so it's not such a struggle.

My daughter's only 18 months and I feel evil sometimes but I don't want her teeth to rot!

Replies

• My DD is just short of 22mths old & will still eat the brush if you let her (sadly it's a natural child reflex). Much like weaning, I find if you open your mouth and go 'aaah' DD copies which makes it slightly easier. The other thing you could try is the chewable toothbrushes.
  • Thank you. I didn't know about the the chewable toothbrushes! Only ones for dogs, lol.

I remember going through the same with my eldest who is 10 now. Nightmare!

Cheers
  • we brush our teeth together, he stands on his step at the sink and copies me, dont get me wrong he isnt great at it and he more often that not will rinse the toothpaste off before brushing but he will get it in time, if hes teething badly he wont do it for long but really would you want a brush rubbed on inflamed gums? probably not! i stopped pinning him down as i just dont think the stress to him is worth it,
  • Mine loves to 'brush' my teeth whilst i brush hers. That way im nice and close to her face too.lol

She won't allow me anywhere near her otherwise and will firmly hold her mouth shut. i also find that if she's is totally refusing then just giving her the brush with some paste on in front of the tv also works well. She just randomly brushes and chews it for about 20 mins = 2 mins of good enough brushing image

Goodluck

claire x