Forum home Babies Baby

Going dairy free - any advice??

So i am exclusively breastfeeding and although my boy feeds regularly he is not putting on weight. He is getting the milk, despite us struggling at first, because i can hear him swallowing, and he has wet and dirty nappies, but his poo is quite watery at times so they think it is going straight through him.

I've been advised he might have some sort of milk allergy, so i am going on a dairy free diet to see if that helps.

Anyone had any experience of this, or advise on what i can eat? Got to cut out so many ingredients shopping is going to be a pain! And the worst of it is i've got to give up chocolate!

Just really hope it works and little man starts fattening up soon.

xxx

Replies

• Has your doctor advised you to go dairy free? The reason I ask is that my daughter is lactose sensitive and the doctor told me that lactose is produced by my breasts and has nothing to do with what I eat so going dairy free wouldnt make any difference. I have to say it didnt apply to me because I had only managed to bf for 3 weeks before my boobs gave out and I had to switch to formula. My daughter was hungry all of the time and my breast milk wasnt fulfilling enough or produced in enough quantity. The doctor perscribed us Colief drops to put in her formula to break down the lactose and it has really helped. Sorry to be negative, I just wanted to mention it so that you can double check with your health care provider that going dairy free actually will make a differance to your little one. xxx
  • Check out www.littlerefluxers.co.uk

I have found them great through all my problems with reflux. My little man is CMPI (plus soya, tomatoes, oats).
  • The more i read about it the more i'm convinced he does have CMPI, although it's too early to be confirmed yet, as they said it could take a couple of weeks of me being dairy free to sort him out.

Thanks for the advice, had a look at the littlerefluxers and think i'll find that really useful!

xxx