Forum home Babies Baby

Noisy baby after night time feed - lots of grunting!

Also in Due in August

Hiya,

My baby is now nine weeks old. She sleeps well for the first part of the night (7/7:30 through to anything between 2:30 and four when she wakes for a feed).

She feeds well when she wakes and I wind her where possible though she is so hungry she isn't keen and cries quite vigorously! She falls asleep finishing her feed and as such I am unable to wind her at the end of the feed.

When I take her back to bed (she sleeps in a crib in our bedroom) she settles well for the first half hour but then grunts almost constantly until either me or my husband finally get up with her at about six ( sometimes even as early as 5).

I'm just wondering what this grunting is really and if she is likely to grow out of it - soon! Its a combination of grunting, snorting and gurgling. She's usually asleep when all this s going on. Is it wind? I have infacol which we used during the early weeks at each feed so maybe I should start trying this again.

Any help or advice you can provide would be greatly received. We're exhausted due to noise which stops us sleeping!

Thanks

xx

Replies

• Hi, my 3wk old daughter is much the same as this too. It's almost like she's talking in her sleep with lots of grunts, murmurs, sighs and coughs. We've put it down to excess wind being shifted as it comes and goes throughout the night (along with the odd hiccups and loud burps/farts) and hopefully we'll grow out of it within the next few months once we start more regular feeding/weaning.
  • It sounds like she has wind to me. DS used to be like this and sometimes still is, I found that I have to spend extra time winding him after his feed (in the middle of the night). Even if he has fallen asleep I usually spend a good 15 mins patting and rubbing his back to clear the wind. When his burps do come they don't wake him up. I used to just spend a few minutes winding thinking that as nothing had happened he obviously didn't have wind, but then he'd be grumbling and noisy when I put him back in the crib.

Also, I find that when my DS starts crying during a feed it means he has wind so we stop, wind him and then he goes back on for more milk. It could be the same for your LO when she cries.

It's so hard to understand what they want sometimes!

x

Maybe try spending extra time winding before introducing the infacol.
  • Try laying your baby on your chest after she has finished feeding, even if she has fallen asleep (you will need to be in a slouching position). Pat and rub her back and she should bring the wind up quickly without disturbing her sleep. This works really well for my baby, she gets to sleep whilst I do all of the winding work!!