Forum home Babies Baby

Any second time Mum's who had forceps first time around?

Hi girls,

I'm just after some good news stories (although will take the bad with the good) of anyone who had to have forceps with their first birth but managed to avoid them next time.

I had a forceps delivery as my DS was 'stuck' due to a narrow pelvic arch and after 3 hours of pushing he just wasn't budging. He was so bruised bless him and we had serious BF issues and sleep issues which I believe were a result of the forceps. I saw my consultant today and told him that I didn't want forceps again under any circumstances but he didn't give me any assurances whatsoever and in fact made me feel less than confident that I would have a 'normal' vaginal delivery.

Has anyone been in a similar position? What the consequences in your subsequent pregnancies?

Thanks

Tink x

Replies

• Hiya hun,i had a forceps delivery with my dd as she had what they call shoulder dyctosia (her shoulder got stuck during the birth) she was 8lb.10oz which i thought was quite big for a first baby and for me as im only 5'2 and petite.Anyway the mws told me after having dd that they would look out for this next time..im now 35 weeks pregnant with my 2nd baby and had to have a growth scan last week to check the size of baby as if they thought he was going to be alot bigger than my first they were going to suggest a c-section,according to the scan he's growing perfectly and they dont seem to be concerned which was a relief.I too was/am still worried about the same thing happening as i dont want another forceps delivery however the doctor i saw told me the only way to completely avoid it is a section which i didnt find very helpfull!He said if i wanted he would book me in for an induction at 39 weeks to give me a better chance of delivering him normaly..so ive agreed to this as with my dd i also went 10 days over and i think she was just too big for me.Thats my story anyway not sure if its of any help to you as i obviously havent had this baby yet so cant say what the birth was like but am hoping its smoother this time round,was youre DS a big baby?Have you tried speaking to someone else about this if youre not happy,maybe youre mw and talk about what options you have to try and ensure you have a normal delivery this time.xx
  • You see that's what I was hoping for, maybe an early induction rather than a c-sec. I'm also very small and he was 7lb 15 which took everyone by surprise. The mw's all say the same thing, if a baby fitted through once then another one will, what they don't seem to grasp is that he only fitted through because he was yanked out with salad tongs and I don't want Pip going through the same thing.

I hope you get your natural delivery!!
  • Hi,

I had forceps with my first delivary i just couldnt physically push him out, i have had two babies since then and had a natural delivary with both. With the last two the pushing stage has been very quick. I didnt have a epidural as i did with the first and i was taking rasberry leaf tablets and evening primrose which help with the later pushing stages of labour. image
  • Duplicate post
  • Hi I had 2 prem babies born at 34+4 weeks weighing 3lb 12oz and 34+6 weeks weighing 5lb 7.5oz. I had forceps with the first and just an episiotomy with the second. I had stitches with both but the first was worse probably as forceps were involved. I have a very petite frame so they said although my second was a good size baby it was just difficult and tight so they had to cut me to help the baby. The first with forceps was because she had to be delivered quickly due to heart dropping. Good look with the birth.
  • Thanks guys. I'm feeling a bit more confident today. Better invest in lots of witch hazel though just in caseimage
  • Oh yeh i am also starting to drink RLT as have heard so many positive comments about it helping with the second stage of labour that i thought theres no harm in trying it if theres a chance its going to help,so i would reccomend trying that too!Also if you feel you would like an induction then speak to youre mw or consultant if you can about it as its youre body and you know whats right for you..good luck image x
  • Hi I had forceps with first due to shoulder dystocia and big bby 10lb10, i'm booked in on Monday for an early induction due to this and some other complecations I had last time following the birth and I hoping for no forceps but have been warned it will be likely!!!
  • My son was induced and I had an episiotomy and forceps delivery, he was 8lb 14oz. I had my daughter almost 3 weeks ago and the birth was natural, with a second degree tear, quick and she was 9lbs 10.5oz. So births can be very different hun, my son flipped back to back last minute and I was knackered, it was an induction and my waters were broken. With my girl I went into labour naturally, waters broke naturally and it was quick (3.5 hours from first big 'I need pain relief' contraction, don't know the official length lol) and I was warned about the shoulder thingy but it didn't happen xxx
  • i work with women having babies and the chance of an instrumental delivery (forceps or ventouse) in 2nd or more babies is much lower than a first. after the first babies are much more likely to get in the right position and you are likely to dilate faster and push the baby out more quickly. No doctor will ever give you a guarantee but the chance is lower. A lot of people have forceps/ventouse first time and go on to have normal births.