Forum home Babies Baby

reflux problems

Hi all, My son is 19 weeks he has been on infant gaviscon for quiet a while now. He was on 5oz (aptimil) every 4 hours but he kept waking in the nite for more milk so i upped his feed to 6oz he really isnt getting on well it. His reflux has got worse so I went back to 5oz. He continued to wake so decided to go on hungry milk. All was ok until i tried to go to 6oz again and now i have a sickie baby again and he just cries. How much milk should a baby be on at nearly 5 months? Also when i start to ween should i still be using hungry milk as i might start weening soon as the doc says reflux gets better once they start having solids. Does it say anywhere how much milk a baby should take once weening? I know all babies are different but just a rough guide will help? HV doesnt seem concerned with his weight!!

Many thanks x

Replies

• Hi, I don't know about aptimil but SMA used to print reccommended average amounts for age upon the side of their formula (it generally decreases with age). Ideally once you start weaning you want to move onto follow-on milk which is not as filling encouraging feeding on solids.
  • Pop over to littlerefluxers.co.uk

They have given me all sorts of support through months of reflux. Have you thought it might be a dairy allergy?
  • hi,

my little boy had extreme reflux from 2 weeks old till he was 18 months. My doctor put him on prescription milk called nutramigen with gaviscon sachets to add at each feed. My doctor thought my son may be dairy intolerant so nutramigen is a diary free milk powder for babies/toddlers. My son is now 2 and he still gets hiccups if he drinks fast or laughs for too long (poor little mite) and we give him rice milk as apose to diary.

Reflux is horrible i know what you are going through. My boy would be sick after nearly every feed we were changing him 5 to 6 times a day.

I hope you get your babe sorted soon,

• Hi

I can't help you with how much formula as I am bf but as for the reflux - have you considered gonig back to gp. My ds2 had sever reflux and now my dd has got it as well they have both been diagnosed with an allergy to milk proteins and need to be completely dairy free. That means I am as well. They also didnt get much benefit from gaviscon and had/have omeprazole to help reduce the acid. I had to see a paed in the end to get it sorted but now it is starting to work.

Also just to let you know not all childrens reflux improve when weaning. My ds2's reflux didn't get better until he was 18months and still is completley dairy free now.

I would consider going back and asking their advice.
  • potnoodle1 my ds is exactly the same as you he has gotten worse and doesnt cope with 6 ounces at all thrwos up every half hour and becomes water that he throws up, just weighed him and its dropped a percentile too he cries most of te day - the doctor sayd to put him back on a medicine that didnt agree withhim, (made his hair fall out, twitch violently and he was like a rag doll) so i refused and asked for something else and he said to go to the hv went to the hv she said gho to my dr! Cant win! lol

Starting to get worried now and booked another gp app to check everything i have heard weaning can help but toby is on 14 weeks on sunday feel so helpless hv will not give me any indication about waening bfore 6 months (although i did with my first) seems like they are happy for him to throw up constantly and cry all day

if you get any answer please post it on here im desperate!
  • Hi, bit different cos my LO was a prem baby but we weaned him at 17 weeks (tried him at 15 and he threw it up and again a week later) he had bad reflux and could only tolerate small feeds so was still on 3-4 hourly feeding when we weaned him (can't recall how many ozs each time but prob 4-5). he is now 17 months and we're starting to wean him off gaviscon. He has taken fine to cows milk but in order for him to eat a 'normal' diet we have mainatined the gaviscon for that little but longer.

It is a long stinky sick smelling road but the only way to get through it is to push for help, if you're unhappy with what HV or GP says, see someone else. Dont give up, it is your and your baby's right to be happy. Its really hard but keep pushing, ask to be referred to a peadiatrician as they know their stuff when it comes to reflux, and if you find a good GP/HV only see them if you're querying reflux. I was lucky and found a good GP in our practice and my HV is a legend but took me a few battles to get there.

There is light at the end of the tunnel and some days are better than others, keep your chin up and you'll get there (even if you do it with sick on your jumper lol)

• Hi

I dont have any advice, i judt wanted to join yiur thread if thats ok as my prem baby(6) weeks corrected has reflux and is on gaviscon every feed and ranitidine.are you sure its water your little one is bringing up? My little girl was bringing up clear liquid but its actually acid.

Does anyone have any positive stories regarding reflux to help us get thriugh this horrible journey x