Forum home Babies Baby
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Feeding issues.......

My 15 week old baby has never been particularly good with milk. I started out BF but was told after a few days to top up with formula due to low milk supply. After 3 weeks I moved to bottle feeding on the advice of my doctor as I didnt produce much milk and the quality of my milk was very poor. Anyway. she was fine on formula until about 6 weeks, she never seemed to be able to take more than 3oz at a time. She is now 15 weeks and with the exception of one brilliant week where she fed beautifully, she still will only take 3oz in one go. Unless, as my husband discovered the other night, she is lying flat. I was initially really annoyed that he fed her lying down because It seems wrong, but he said she took 6 oz. Tonight out of desperation I tried it and low and behold she finished the bottle! My question is this; is this normal? or a symptom of a feeding issue? I dont think It can be good for her though can it? Im sure I read it can cause ear infections! Help!

Replies

• my livvy is quite similar now i come to think about it...i relax my hand on bottle so she bobs it in and out her mouth as and when having a breather and if lying back seems to relax and slowly drain bottle [i'm talking last few ozs not all of it] she also stops after 2 oz and then doesn't want to know for 15 min ish and has bit more etc...

sometimes she will take 30 mins to an hour to have bottle and other times full 2 hrs as per formula guidelines before i have to throw it away...she has recently been moved up to 7 oz bottles but rarely gets to 7...5 to 6 is now norm

how about you? Liv weighs 13 lbs 11oz
  • I never knew you weren't supposed to have them flat! I've always held DS pretty much flat. He was BF til 9months, but had expressed bottles quite often, and is now combo fed. He's 14months now and never had an ear problem. I just figured he's horizontal when he BF's, so it never crossed my mind that he should lie down to have a bottle.
  • my LO is BF but always lies flat and star fished to feed!! x