Forum home Babies Baby
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

any mums work shifts?

hi ladies

my ds is 4.5 months old and when he's 8 months i have to go back to working 3 shifts a week image my mum is helping with some childcare and have visited a couple of nurseries to try and sort out leaving him for a couple of half days there, with mum having him the rest of the time to break it up for him and her (and his dad having him on a weekend day). However, both the nurseries have said i have to pay for a permanent slot and they have limited stuff available for april image i do not have the kind of job (in healthcare) that can be rigid like this. Am now considering a childminder but wonder if there are any that would commit to so few hours on changeable days?

surely i cant be the only mummy in this boat!

Before i had DS 8 months sounded such a long time to have with him. Now he's here i feel awful about going back and am beating myself up that maybe we could have saved up so i could have had the year. 8 months just seems so young, it feels against nature for me to leave him! Also i feel annoyed with myself i didnt work up to my due date to have this precious time now. I feel envious of my mums generation who mainly stayed at home to raise their children. Im lucky only having to work part time i know but these early days are so precious and important.

I hope i feel it will be healthy for me to have work in my life in the long run, i can't say how id feel if there was never any prospect of working (maybe this would be overwhelming too) and i know i still have some time to go yet and LO will change a lot.

Any advice would be gratefully appreciated xx

Replies

• Options
    i work as a nurse and due to this issue i work on the bank so i can choose my shifts, when i had a contract it was pro rota and no nursery would accomadate me, i had to have at least two full set days which was not helpful, childminders are more flexible but it stops them taking on another child if it is variable days, i usually work nights or days at the weekends then hubby can have the children, i cant see any other way around it, the ladies at work who have children have family who look after the kids which is something we dont have