Forum home Babies Baby
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

b12 deficiency, can anyone tell me more???

hi i am posting this in a few different forums in the hope someone can tell me more about it.

i am only 10 wks and my bloods from last week came back showing anemia (which i have every single pregnancy so no surprises there) and a b12 deficiency. the doctor basically just told me i needed a prescription that i had to start immediately, he also said that my levels were that low i had it before getting pregnant. that was all he said.

i then went to get my prescription from the chemist and the pharmacist was telling me i had to eat more animal products, so when i explained to her that my daily food comprises of cereal and full fat milk, cheese sandwiches and i have meat on every single dinner (i'm a firm carnivore and will even snack on slices of ham, and sausage rolls throughout the day), she then pointed out that it would be to do with absorbing it and i would now be on them for the rest of my life!!?? is this true? i just assumed it would be like the iron, i'll just have it for rest of pregnancy and a couple of months after, not pills every day for the rest of my life.

can anyone tell me more and whether it is likely that i will have this deficiency for life????

thank you xxxx

Replies

• hey there - i have pernicious aneamia which is a b12 deficiency - you need to ask whether you have this or just a simple deficiency. Ther difference between the two i belive is the pernicipus side means that no matter how much you include b12 into your diet you wont absorb it and i end up with a bad tummy - i have to have injections about 3 times a year for the rest of my life but it is pretty rare and is usually more comon in older people or vegetarians (i am a vege) so i think you need to go back and find out which one it is. It is also uncommon i belive for people to be prescribed vit tablets and that the injections are better. Pernicious aneamia makes you feel pretty pants sometimes - and a classic sign is a sore tongue!!! If you have any questions then just ask or private message me x