Forum home Babies Baby
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Milk when weaning...

Hi, some clueless first time mummy questions that I'll also be asking in BIJuly...

Matilda is 6 months next week, and we have been weaning on purees for quite a few weeks - poor thing was permanently starving.

My problem now is that I'm a bit baffled by the milks available. WE use Hipp Organic Hungry Milk at the minute (have done since about 3 months in an attempt to delay weaning). The box says she should be having 5 bottles a day, I would say she has about 6 most days plus water with her 3 (tiny) meals.

Should I be giving a follow on milk instead as I am introducing more foods and she will soon start to drop milk? I didn't know if there really is a huge difference between the milks? If I use follow on should I introduce it slowly so it's not a shock to her system?

Also, she still wakes twice in the night to be fed (I don't mind too much but hubby thinks she should sleep through by now - MIL I think puts this in his head) he thinks we should give the Hipp Goodnight milk a go, he says it has cereals in it so will stop her being hungry. Has anybody tried a night milk? Do they really make a difference?

Sorry for the clueless post, I found out loads about breastfeeding before she was born... but when I had to start using bottles found I didn't know very much! I don't want to change this unnecessarily and make life difficult for her image

Replies

• Im a clueless first time mummy too but I can tell you what we do. Phoebe is on Hipps Organic first milk and has four bottles during the day. We have just dropped the second feed in the night although she still has one at 1am. 5 bottles in total. This has all coincided with her having bigger portions of food. Phoebe has three meals a day She has toast for breakfast, then the powdered meals (the only ones she will eat) with extra puree veg mixed in. Sometimes she will have a homemade meal made with baby pasta or potato and veg but that depends on her mood - she loves the powdered meals because they are bland and I mix them with baby milk. The plus side to her eating the powdered foods is that they are made with rice so quite filling. She usually has fruit puree for pudding. I would suggest rather than changing her milk, increase the amount of carbs into her meals by adding potato, rice or pasta (the baby versions) an try and get her to eat a little more. It sounds top me that she is still using milk to fill her up an food could take the place of that. Hope this helps xx
  • Hi

It is a worry isn't it. I've had the same sort of questions:

I'm seeing my son is keen on solids but equally I want to keep the milk going for the calories especially until he reaches 6 months.

I asked the health visitor and she advised that I can always give MORE puree as long as I'm still offering milk and I can bolster them out with baby rice mixed with baby's usual milk to get the best of both. So I agree with Glitter.

Out of interest how many ounces is your little one taking in a feed?

My little boy is breastfed but would take about 7/8oz per feed on formula (last time I checked). I now give him about one banana or 2-3 ice cubes of puree mixed with rice with a breast feed for 2 of his meals (lunch and dinner) and then feed as and when as the introduction of more solids means he is feeding out of his old routine.

I'm not worried though as he poops daily and gaining weight so I'm sure his routine will re-settle. he is sleeping longer overnight now too! Bonus!

I'd say if you're concerned pop to clinic for suggestions but your own instinct and baby's continual weight gain will be your best guide. I have also been told that follow on milk is not really necessary as baby's should have formula or breast until one year when they should have full fat cow's milk for the calories/fat content.

I was a bit worried until today but his weight is still going well so feel reassured x
  • Thanks ladies, she seems to be settling into things a bit better so perhaps I'm just a worrier! She is still up in the night but she is taking less milk in those feeds now and feeding more consistently in the day time.

TulipRose - she is taking about 6/7oz in a feed (except at night where she has dropped to 3/4oz twice in the night - so about one normal feed). She is on hungry baby milk though as she seemed to be hungry all the time once I stopped being able to combi-feed after a few weeks of always making bottles and feeding we moved to hungry formula to get the space between feeds.

I took her to the clinic yesterday, and she is 19lbs now so still a very healthy weight so I guess I have nothing to worry about - I'll just keep going as you've both suggested and see how we go from here.

Thanks again image