Forum home Babies Baby
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Temper...........

My 7 month old regularly gets into a temper when she is tired or I am trying to dress her. She cries, arches her back, becomes completely rigid and claws at my face so it becomes a struggle to hold on to her. I am terrified that I am going to drop her or that she will get hurt because her arms are flailing about. I also find myself getting annoyed at that terrifies me too. I know that I wont hurt her, I worship the ground that she bum-shuffles on, but when she is really throwing herself around and I cant get her nappy on because she keeps rolling over I feel myself getting frustrated and I don't know what to do. She is so strong and I end up having to really struggle to keep her on her back. I'm not sure what to do. I put her down in a safe place so that I can calm down, but she continues to rage and I have to pick her back up again. I jump around and sing to her to try and cheer her up, but whilst i'm doing that she is throwing herself around until she eventually calms down. Has anyone got any suggestions? Or is her behaviour abnormal? I have tried asking my HV but she is useless. She is such a lovely baby 90% of the time and I adore her, I just wish I could sort this issue.

Replies

• hi glitterbug

sorry to hear your LO is getting so upset image Im sure you've already tried everything you can think of - but my LO hates being dressed to, i find his two fail safe toys on hand usually calm him down - his fisher price singing light up dog, or his fisher price light up lantern. No matter how grisley he is he will pause for a moment to stare at them if they're singing and reach for them. Mostly he hates being on his back so i try and minimise the time doing this - get the vest on and then sit him between my legs in front of one of his favourite toys, or the mirror, while i put his top and trousers on. Lifting him in his trousers in front of the mirror makes him laugh! Im going to sound completely mad but failing all that - I sing REALLY loud - this shocks him - usually incey wincey spider (lol) and we have actions of the spider crawling up and the rain falling down that he loves. Or i blow raspberries on his belly which makes him giggle.

Sometimes though babies just get beside themselves and there is nothing that will calm them. In this instance i usually just postpone what we're doing and breast feed him, he often has a little sleep after the feed and feels better.

Don't feel bad for getting angry - it is hard to listen to a baby having a real screaming fit.Ultimately they do have to learn that they have to get dressed and its going to happen even if they dont like it! Do you think there might be something else at the root of the frustration? Hunger, teeth, tummy ache?

Sorry if not much help, or if being very patronising, didnt want to R and R x
  • Hey, thanks for your reply. I do all of the singing and toys too, sometimes it works but when she is in a real mardy it doesn't. I will try dressing her in front of the mirror though, she loves her reflection so that might help. What I find really hard is when she throws herself around. It is a nightmare to try and hold on to her. She is teething and that is making her grizzly but I think much of it is temper. I know it sounds daft because she is only 7 months old, but she really knows her own mind. She is starting to crawl but isn't quite steady yet so frequently slips onto her tummy and she gets so angry and frustrated. She has also started doing a fake cry when she wants our attention. In some ways it is really quite funny, but I was hoping the 'terrible two's' might be a little further off!!