Forum home Babies Baby
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

constipation when weaning 6 month old?

I waited till 26 weeks to wean my LO, as is the advice, i wasnt against weaning him sooner if necessary but he actually became more settled than he ever has been from 5 months so i waited. However, im back to work when he's 8.5 months and hope to bf and express for him alongside work so once we hit 26 weeks i felt the clock was ticking. I was encouraged by the nursery nurse that his gut was mature and ready to go, to start with root veg, then fruit and then to guage his response and go at his pace but give him a wide variety of food.

Well, we've done 7 days so far and he's eaten everything ive given him and is very enthusiastic. We tried BLW but he just made a mess and didnt eat a thing and i just feel we need to get things off the ground now so have been using purees - which have already progressed to having some small cut up things in them, which he's handling well. He's had a wide range of fruit and veg, chicken, yoghurt, and cereal. He started off with lunch and as of mid week he has had breakfast and lunch but doesnt have an evening meal yet. We started with the ice cube sized portion but now for lunch probably has double that and a few baby spoonfuls of something sweeter to finish such as yoghurt or fruit. For breakfast he'll have half a weetabix or porridge equivalent.

To start with he had a couple of dirty nappies that were just like his normal yellow liquid poo (he's bf) but with chunks of veg etc in (sorry if TMI!) yesterday though he delivered really quite an enormous solid yellow poo for a little baby, as big as his foot! It too some pushing out and today he's been straining on several occasions, everytimet here is a fifty pence pieced size solid yellow poo in his nappy - as if hes trying to get it out but is constipated. He's been having water in a cup during feeds but today i tried to get him to have a bit in between.

He still goes on the breast as often - but doesnt have as many long feeds.

I worry that ive got carried away and gone too fast with weaning and that i need to slow down - maybe i went to meat too fast? I find the lack of guidance in how fast to go hard.

Sorry if the info in this oversteps the mark but any advice from experienced mums would be appreciated! x

Replies

• You have introduced a second meal quite quickly, but the foods you are giving him are fine for his age. Unfortunately constipation is fairly normal with weaning. My dd has really struggled with constipation and my HV recommended watered down orange juice. I put an ounce of orange juice into three ounces of water and it has really made a massive difference. The next time he tries to go to the loo, take his nappy off and give him a tummy massage with some baby oil. Then use some cotton wool and warm water and bathe his bum. Take his legs and stretch them out and then bend them into his tummy so that his knees are pressed against his tummy, then rotate his legs in a circular motion. I usually find that this helps, and more often than not she begins to poop with me helping her to push (sorry, tmi). Also, increase his fruit intake, pear in particular is good for constipation. Hope this helps xx
  • Hi Alfie,

My LO is 6.5 months & weaned onto 3 meals a day - we started at just over 5 months as he was waking 6 times a night for feeds image and very unsettled in evenings.

He has had days where he strains more to go & produces pellets of poo etc. We've been giving him prunes. What I have done is boiled dried prunes & then pureed them with boiled pear. This has made a compote type puree which he has had with yoghurt, but could also be given with rice pudding, custard etc or on it's own. I also know someone who adds prune juice to puree's she is making. We haven't tried this yet but have some so will probably try it at some point.

Sounds like you are doing really well image

Linds x
  • G/c just to say I agree with Linds. My DD has suffered some constipation with weaning and I have given her pureed dried fruits (prune/raisin/apricot). Apricot is our favourite, I soak overnight to remove the sulphur they're preserved with and plump them up then boil them in fresh water for 5-10 mins and then puree.

She wasn't keen the first time, but loves them now and they usually work quickly!
  • thanks ladies. i have pear puree all made up and have bought dried prunes and apricots, and he is having plenty of fruit. It seems variable, some days he has softer poo other times harder but i think after breast feeding him it was a shock that his bowel habits changed. The HV actually told me to give him dinner as well, i wasnt keen but had 3 nights where he was up 2 hourly - didnt seem to be tummy ache or teeth, but in the last couple of weeks his brain has majorly surged and he can suddenly move and grab so quick and is into things like never before! My gut feeling is the waking is due to him not being able to switch off, but just felt so tired i thought id give him tea - hes never refused anything and always acts like he wants more.

Day 3 on three meals today and so far so good. Got the remedies in ready for him if needed! And have already tried the excercises thanks glitterbug when he's straining! I havent felt any engorgement though so i guess the meals can't be making a massive difference to my supply x
  • We found dairy a problem so moved to soya xx
  • Hiya, we started weaning just over a week ago, at 23 weeks. I've just been feeding one meal a day at lunchtime, of pureed veg / fruit. He's still having all his usual breastfeeds, and i've not given him any water yet. He stopped pooing altogether on monday, and only went yesterday. I'm quite sad really as now his poo is formed, and doesn't smell very nice, it was always quite sweet with just breastmilk! I had rung HV on thurs who said it's quite normal as they're getting used to solid poos, so not to worry. I did do lots of tummy massages though to try and help. If you do that though, we were told in baby massage always to massage the tummy clockwise. xxx
  • Sadly it's all part of the weaning process, solid foods produce solid poo. It can take baby some time to adjust to the new sensations but you can help make it easier for them by rubbing tummy with circular motions (clockwise to speed things up, anti-clock to slow things down) & by moving their legs in cycling motions to help them open their bowels & clear them.

DD2 is now nearing 6mths & has been weaned since 4mths, she has now returned to one poo daily with no problems at all.
  • Been weaning my now 6 month old DD for three weeks. A bit of loose bowels and nappy rash last week but all otherwise seemingly successful. Then agony of 2 constipated days and so cut out yoghurt rice and banana and mostly been giving pear & prunes with some veg and extra water and usual milk feeds.

Today eruption of constant poop ..inches of the stuff!! How long are her intestines?! Now the sore bottom and awful to have her screaming in pain and in tears every time. She now dreads nappy changing, which is never ending this evening, after always squealing with delight over it previously. Should pooing be so agonising? Should I get her checked? Have been using metanium and now calendula cream after reading suggestions. Any advice gratefully received. Bound to have peaked the evening my husband is away image