Forum home Babies Baby
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Baby will only sleep being held!

Morning all,

Following another sleepless night I need some advice. Jenson is 9 weeks old and refuses to sleep in his crib preferring to be held or sleep in our bed, but I'm not a big fan of co-sleeping so end up not sleeping, as worried I will roll onto him or he'll get under the covers or pillows and suffocate. How can I make his crib more appealing? I've tried;

Swaddling him

putting a piece of my clothing in there

putting a hot water bottle in there

sitting next to him while he drops off but as soon as I move away he wakes up

leaving him scream but hubby has to get up for work and worried our neighbours are going to complain!

He sleeps fairly well in his bouncy chair and his car seat and sleeps well in the day, its the nights that are the problem! Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Replies

• Have you tried placing a rolled up sheet or pillow under one end of the mattress? If LO sleeps ok in bouncer/car seat it could be laying flat we're not liking.

Another option (depending on style of crib/your bed) is to remove one side of the crib & place it alongside your bed as a sort of extension to your bed so baby is sleeping next to you without actually being in your bed.
  • I would also suggest propping one end of the matress / moses basket. My dd slept well when tiny in a bouncy chair, but struggled with being flat so I propped the end of her basket with a couple of books and it seemed to solve the problem. She had mild reflux so she always preferred being more upright.
  • i was told when i had my 1st baby to put eg vest top or piece of small clothing at the top of the crib that way they smell you and know your around.

But currently im going through the same as you but only he is 7months old (my 2nd child), he sleeps through the night but this last week he will not sleep when put down at all x
  • We had a snuggle nest for DD1 which made her feel more secure in the crib. You can also bring it in bed with you for safe co sleeping when necessary.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Snuggle-Nest-in-Pink/dp/B001B9ETTM
  • have you tried putting him on nis side? my son always hated sleeping on his back. he tolerated it when swaddled but thats it. we just wedged him on his side then and as soon as he was able to roll himself he became a tummy or side sleeper on his own.
  • Thanks for the suggestions ladies. We had put a wedge under his mattress as found that worked with my first son but didn't make much difference. We have now tried a couple of different things and found they've helped.I moved his crib into the living room and for a couple of days put him down to sleep only in his crib to get him used to it. I've also put his carry cot from his travel system into the cot so there is less space and he seems happier with that. Whether it was a bad couple of nights or these things have helped I have no idea, all i know is something's helped and we've all been getting more sleep.

...except he now has a cold and can't sleep again! Joys of children!