Forum home Babies Baby
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

help needed

i have a 7 month boy and hes slept really well through the night for some time, but for about a week now hes changed.

When he falls asleep and we put him down he wakes pretty much soon after, he is not likin us puttin him down. Pick him back up fast asleep again. Tthis is pretty much through the nught unless hes with us.

I would let him cry it out but do not like to for long as we have a nearly 4 yr old sleeping in bed in the room opposit the babys room.

Any suggestions?

Replies

• hi mrs davies

i have a 6 month old son who has suddenly become very mobile, alert, into everything - it seems overnight he has a personality and attitude,bless him! Ive always breast fed him to sleep and suddenly, after feeding only once in the night, he's now waking 2-3 hourly. The HV has told me that when babies are young they can fall asleep by feeding or being rocked etc on your lap, stir in the night in their cot and be unbothered by it. Once they are more alert to their surroundings though around the 6 or 7 month mark they become unsettled by waking up where they didnt fall asleep. have you always got him off to sleep by holding him, then lifting him into the cot? If so he's never learnt how to settle himself and needs to learn. We are on night two tonight of having to make sure he goes down awake, then when he cries use controlled crying, go back after 5 mins, then 10mins, then 15 etc to reassure without lifting him up or feeding him. Last night we had 1 hour 5 mins of crying, then another episode of 30 mins but he never came out his cot.

It was so tough but on 3 meals a day they relly dont need the calories and you cant teach them to settle themselves - they have to learn. Its awful to hear them cry but i hope each night will be better - if you're strong they learb quicker. The HV said to me if he ran out in front of a car, id grab his arm to stop him even if it hurt his arm a bit. The sleep deprivation thats making us both grumpy will hurt us, and him, in the long run so it has to be done, although i know not all parents would agree - im going back to work on night shifts in two months as well so he'll find this really traumatic if we dont get it sorted. You might want to read my thread about it.

i understand your dilemma with another child that will be woken up - could your other LO stay with relatives for a couple of nights? This might be all it would take and it would keep you strong to know you have a limited chance xx