Forum home Babies Baby

nusery?

ok so we have been offered free nursery for 10 hours a week for our little one he has just turned one and and soon he is going to be walking without holding on potty training and talking in sentences all things i want to be there for and help him with. I dont want to miss any time with him while he is this young (just hit one) but i dont want him to miss out, not sure what to do. Anyone else thinking about putting there little ones into nursery? Or if you have kids in nursery how did you find it?

Replies

• Hi scarlet_scar-alot!

I have a 3 year old son and he has been at nursery since he was 10 months. When he first started he did 2 mornings and an afternoon, and from the off he absolutely loved it! I actually work at the nursery he goes to and found it hard at first not being able to go in and check on him in working time (only when im on my lunch) and i can say its great he attended from an early age, he is so confident, he mixes well with others and has lots of friends. He now attends 3 full days and always asking 'nursery today mum?', when its not the days he goes. :lol:

Every child is different it takes some children a while to settle so try not to worry if he takes a while to settle in, but others take to it like a duck to water! Ask the nursery to record his milestones whilst he is there, like his first steps etc! Am sure they wont mind image

Good luck and keep us updated

Caz X
  • hi scarlet

my lo is going to start nursery next month when i go back to work, one to two half days a week, i also have family support with childcare. i was dreading going round to look at them but i totally changed my mind when i saw the nursery. they do lovely things with them that i, personally (and probably lots of mums) would never do at home, like let them have messy play with jelly and baked beans! it was such a fun place and the kids were having a lovely time, the staff are professionals with children and know them inside out, my LO was so excited.

It made me realise that while i am his mummy and love him more than anything, he doesnt exist just to be my baby - he also needs to have a little tiny bit of independence and meet other children and have other experiences. He also has a daddy and grandparents who deserve to forge relationships with him and while, like you, ideally i want his firsts to be with me - i know the most selfless thing is to let him have some other influences in his life. I love being a mummy but there are days where we both get bored, and i think the fresh energy we'll have when we are reunited will be good for both of us. Im only working 3 days and will still be with him more often than not. I think at one year old your child will find ten hours of nursery exciting and fun, but will still come home having missed you - and is more than likely to do all his firsts with you.

I think its important you have picked the right nursery though as obviously some are better than others and if you dont feel 100% on your decision it will be hard. My nursery are letting me go with my lo as many times as i feel happy, and i can nip out and do some things and leave him there to warm us up to him spending a half day there by himself x
  • well we are going to see the nusery next week still not sure about it but hopefully going there will make deciding easier. To be honest i wish it was more like the childrens centre where i can be with him the whole time and watch him interact. oh well it all hangs on to what we make of the nusery 

• My little boy went in to nursery at 6 months (18 months now) as I had to go back to work (just 3 days to begin with) and he absolutely loves it! I didn't miss out on his first word or his first steps and the nursery he is at are amazing and supportive. He loes going there and has made great friends and has come on leaps and bounds. That, by the way,  isn't saying that he wouldn't have progressed without it of course - but nursery work by a set of targets that children shoud reach by certain ages - and they plan the activiites appropriately to make sure that they are meeting those targets so I do think it helps!

The time to yourself sometimes is great aswel!! Personally, if it's being funded - i'd be tempted to go for it.You can always change your mind after if he realy really hates it.

x

• he seemed to enjoy the hour settling in time so we booked him in for another 3 settling in sessions on monday tuesday and friday the staff have been really good and have said we dont have to stay for full sessions and we can stay with him even when he is a bit more settled if we like. Unfortunatly he literally just woke up crying which he doesnt normally do, turns out he has a temperature going to take him to the docs could just be from his injection but dont wanna take the risk hopefully it will of gone by the weekend so hes fine for monday