Forum home Babies Baby
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Breathing and crying

Hollie always seems to cry when i dress her or undress her, well earlier today after her bath while i was putting her pyjama's on she held her breath while she was crying. it was only for a couple of seconds but it scared me, does anyone have any tips on how i can calm her down or stop the screaming fits when i dress, undress or change her nappy? no dummy tips as she spits her dummy out whenever i try giving it to her to soothe her.

Replies

• Try to hold her close.  When her head comes through the headhole, give her a big smile and say 'boo'.  Try to make dressing fun.  Jack was like this, now when he's is getting dressed and his head comes out, he says boo to me.  He did not hold his breath though, so I don't know what to suggest for that.
  • Aww Bless!!! My daughter was as same as Hollie, but believe me now she loves bathing, ofcourse we do have to run around the room to change her nappies lol!!!!! as for Hollie she is just weeks old so will definetely learn things.And make bathing time and changing dress a fun moment, she will grasp every move of you and one day she will replicate them. so dont worry too much, and of couse breathing, if it concerns you more, dont hesitate to call the doctor.
  • Lots of tiny babies don't like being dressed and undressed.They do soon get used to it and you can make little games,sing little songs.So young,Hollie probably won't be impressed yet but can soon be distracted by these things.All you can do is keep changing an dressing as quick and fuss free as possible and be ready with the hugs as soon as it's all over.If shes getting really upset,maybe just pick her up,calm her down a bit and finish dressing her on your lap.My eldest used to hold his breath,of course I panicked,but it really was only a couple of seconds ,in between cries,and it didn't go on very long.If you are worried though speak to your health visitor.

My youngest hated being dressed,bathed ,changed,and there was a particular little song we sung to him which now ,at 20 months, he'll sing back to me if he wants me to sing t and he'll sing along,but when he was tiny stopped him crying almost instantly.

• Alice used to freak out. getting undressed, in the bath, getting dressed after.

try not to let it phase you basically. You can try all the smiles, talking, singing distraction. but she will grow out of it. c'mon, all warm and snuggly in clothes and the next second being pulled about and undressed. no fun! x

• smile,tickle n make a game of it all mine held breath whilst crying i found it helped 2 drape a prewarmed(from heater or dryer)bath towel over them as they h8ted getting dressed due 2 change in temp
    x