Forum home Babies Baby
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Milk feeds 9+ months

Just wondered if it's normal to drop milk feeds at this sort of age? Matilda has 3 x 210ml feeds a day and 3 meals, but over the past few weeks she has stopped finishing any of the bottles properly. So on average she is only taking around 2 x 180ml and 1 x 120ml feeds a day (although she does sometimes have more). Just checking it's normal? I assume it is and she will start wanting snacks instead? The formula box recommends the same amount of milk from 7-12 months but surely it does drop? Second guessing myself all the time as usual!

Replies

• The guideline upon formula boxes is just that - a guide.  Every child is different & will require different amounts of food & drink dependant upon their own individual BMI & metabolisms.  Also bear in mind that the milk intake guidelines will include milk within foods such as cereals, yoghurts, cheeses, fromage frais & sauces.  If you are concerned LO isn't get enough talk to your HV.

• Phoebe has three bottles a day but it is anyone's guess as to how much she will take! She usually takes 5oz in the morning. Her next bottle is at 2.30 and sometimes she will refuse it completely. However, today she took 6oz, but I think that was because she had refused to eat a proper meal at lunchtime (I think it was because of the weather being hot). Tonight she has taken 3oz. I would say on average she takes 10oz per day. She eats three good meals; Cereal and toast for breakfast, either a mushy meal or dairylee sandwiches for lunch, followed by either fruit puree or yoghurt (and organix baby crisps if she has a sandwich). For dinner she tends to have a mushy meal, chunks of fruit and a fromage frais. Snack wise, she will eat anything she can hold herself. Usually I give her a Annabel Karmel type biscuit or two mid morning, and veggie sticks or organix veg crisps mid afternoon. Although she doesnt always have a mid afternoon snack. She will also snack on food from our plates when we have dinner (we eat later than her due to either me or hubby coming home later).If she sees someone else eating, she wants to try whatever they have got! She is a really good eater and when I write it all down it sounds like she spends her whole day stuffing her face! However, she is only on the 50th centile for her weight and is very tall for her age so looks very skinny compared to other babies. Therefore I think she must be getting what she needs! I mentioned to my HV about the milk feeds because Phoebe started dropping her bottles at 7 months and my HV just told me to be led by her. xx

• hi mrs p

im bf my 9 month old but im glad you posted this as i find it so hard to believe he gets his 20oz a day. He has a feed in the morning and one at night and one mid morning when im with him. this one is short and when im at work he takes about 1oz from a bottle mid morn. at night when im at work, he takes 1-2oz or nothing at all. I think he prefers me than the bottle but i still dont think he would be taking 10oz at both his feeds! i rang the hv and she said missing the odd evening feed wont do him any harm, just add the milk id left for him to his weetabix, mashed potato etc the next day and keep the dairy up. i said i didnt think he was getting 20oz but she seemed unconcerned. what is there milk intake supposed to be after a year? x