Forum home Babies Baby
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Birthmark?

Hello all, lo is now 16 weeks and doing great! Hoping im posting this in correct place image
lo had, what we told a birth mark on his lower part of his leg. Lately it seems to raise and darker in colour and then fade a little bit.
Has anyone else come across this and should we being going to the GP about this?

Many Thanks

Replies

• Sorry im not much help, but my lo has a birthmark similar to this on the back of her head, close to the hairline by her neck. Its not as big, and is never raised, but often it does get darker, then fade again. I think it might be to do with her body temperature, but not sure. As your los is raised, I think personally I'd go to gp to check it out. Xx
  • Hi, don't panic, there are two types of birthmark.  Strawberry birthmarks are raised reddened areas whilst raspberry birthmarks are more 'bruise like' in appearance on the skin.  Both can lighten/darken with circulation/temperature of the body.  They can appear anywhere upon the body but owing to be associated with assisted deliveries they usually appear upon the legs or face/head.  Hope this helps image

• My little girl has one of each. She has a significantly raised strawberry birthmark on her back and a raspberry mark on her hand. Both seem to have faded quite a lot since she was born. My OH had a strawberry mark that faded before he started high school, and we've been told by hv's that they tend to fade better than the raspberry marks. We've been offered topical treatments and all sorts, most times we go to clinic actually! Last time my hv said we could get a referral to Birmingham children's hospital, but I've chosen not to as they're only superficial. The biggest health risk is if we catch the strawberry mark and it bleeds a lot but I didnt think it was worth the treatment whilst she was so young. If when she gets older she becomes concerned then I'll reconsider. Might be worth mentioning it to the hv if you wanted some treatment? Xx
  • Many thanks for your replies! Its always good to get other people opinions who are/have been in same situation rather than just resting on 1 persons observations.

Probably will get it double checked when next at doctors, but has put me at ease a bit haha.

Thanks again image