Forum home Babies Baby
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Your views on the use of dummies

Hi there

I am interested to know how many of you are successfully using dummies and whether you have encountered any negative comments.  I am not sure how I feel about introducing one at this stage.  My 11 week old sucks his own fingers but is mainly comforted by sucking my DH's thumb of an evening which sends him off to sleep. He seems to be able to settle himself in his moses basket at nighttime though.  I am breasfeeding and had a lot of latching on problems in the beginning and had to use nipple shields which I have now managed to wean off

Thankyou for your comments A xx

Replies

• Hi, we have used one from birth. Mainly due to it reducing the risk of cot death. Abby is 11 months old and doesn't really use it thought the day, we use it just to go to bed. We take it off her as soon as she wants to talk as well x

• We use a dummy, because of reduced risk of cot death, but with this next one I definitely won't! This is because (for us) the dummy is a lot more trouble than its worth, my dd will wake up countless times in a night having lost the dummy, and sometimes its not too easy to resettle her. I believe that her having the dummy has played a major part in her not sleeping through the night. Quite a few people I've spoken to have the same problem, but there are others whose babies use it to go to sleep then aren't bothered when it comes out. But I won't be taking that risk again! X
  • my lo had one from 9 weeks, mainly because he refused to accept a bottle and i wanted to teach him how to suck on a teat. he was intrigued but pushed it out with his tongue as he just didnt get it! after a few gentle introductions though he realsied how and it did make him have a bottle too.

he's now a year almost and he has it to get him off to sleep or when tired and grumpy. of course it will be an effort when we stop but i dont think he's too reliant - you do see some kids with them in all the time.

they say after a year teats/dummies can affect speech development - but as my lo has been bf he's hardly had any bottles and with such slight dummy use i dont believe this will have much effect. we will have to wean him off it at some point of course but for now he's getting used to nursery, breast feeding well and taking expressed milk when im not around - i think he has enough going on and is still very young.

i was never set against dummies like a lot of people seem to be - little people find them very comforting. people say they are dirty but they go through a sterlilser and are changed regularly, unlike most of the other things they put in their mouths!

i actually havent encountered anyone being negative at all. x

• Daughter had a dummy from 2 months until 9 months. She would use it to go to sleep but didn't wake when it fell out.

Son doesn't have a dummy at all. I tried to introduce one at 6 weeks but he screamed like he was being hurt every time! He doesn't suck his thumb / fingers or anything.
  • My little boy sucked his thumb from the moment he was snuggled up with me in the recovery room! After a few weeks he started sucking his fingers instead, and this is now his comfort / security thing he does when he's tired or overwhelmed. He did used to suck on my finger a lot when he was tiny, which helped him get off to sleep, and maybe a dummy would have been easier, but I'm glad i didn't give in. He is still breastfed at nearly 11 months.

It's personal choice really, but what are your reasons for introducing one at this stage? If he can settle himself well I personally wouldn't bother now.

xxx

• I wouldn't bother if you don't feel your baby needs it.My lo uses one but it's because it helped with her silent reflux at night when she was v little-doc recommended it might help.

Like someone else said we then went through a phase where she would have woken all annoyed if she couldn't find it at night.It definitely had its use but if I hadn't thought it would help her in some way I wouldn't have bothered.
  • Actually I have just read up that the cot death risk reduces by 90% with using a dummy,I didn't know that,I think I'd use one again in that case.
  • My sister in law was dead against them, she didn't allow her baby to have one. He's now 5and a half and a thumb sucker! Obsessively!! Poor kid!

The way I look at it (& her too now, incidentally!) is that you can take a dummy away from a baby/toddler (ie wean them off it), you cannot however amputate their thumbs!

I'd say if they look like thumb suckers, give them a dummy! image

I have no babies as yet so my advice may be crap, lol!x
  • I don't really see a problem with thumb sucking. I sucked mine until i was 10, and had no problems. Much prefer to see that than a dummy.

xxx

• yeah i suppose, i do hate to see dummies in kids over 2 or 3 but i also hate watching my 6year old nephew suck his thumb. I wanna scream at him to 'man up'! lol! 

It's not easy & whatever suits the individual child i suppose! people will always be opinionated about these things, but if the kids happy i wouldn't get to hung up on dummy/thumb, there's more in life to worry about i suppose x

• Ooh Angelina I just realised you are the same girl who was having problems with the latching on and nipple shields,so glad to hear you are sorted,all those difficulties will soon feel like a distant memory!
  • My boy had a dummy as I can take it off him but cant take a thumb off him. Plus it reduces cot death and save my poor nipples whilst breastfeeding. Having said that it is entirely each to their own. I do hate the comments people make when the see my baby with his dummy, it is no one else business.

• Our son had a dummy from a few days old and we got rid of it easily at 18 months old. We only really gave it to him at sleep times. My husband was dead against it but our son was a comfort sucker and it saved my nipples a lot of pain! 

x

• I was against them to start. Then at 2 weeks when he turned out to be a big comfort sucker and colicky decided to give him one. But he wouldn't have it! Tried different brands and he would never take any of them. It's not always our choice whether they have one or not!
  • I have 3 children and none of mine had dummies. None of my children sucked there thumb or fingers. I have nothing against dummies but choose not to give them to my children.

Heres a few Pro's and Con's

• There are health advantages and disadvantages for using dummies/pacifiers
    • The evidence about dummy use to reduce the risk of Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS) is inconclusive
    • Ear infections: using a dummy may increase the risk of ear infections. 
    • Babies can get very upset when dummies are lost or misplaced.
    • Babies can become dependent on dummies to get to sleep.
    • most dummies fall out within 30 minutes of the baby falling asleep, while many SIDS babies are discovered several hours after this.
    • The act of sucking can relieve pain. It may help your baby if he sucks on a dummy when he's having his immunisations, for example.
    • Babies who use dummies seem to be prone to more chest infections and tummy upsets
    • The longer your baby uses a dummy, the more likely it is to cause changes in the way his teeth grow. The British Dental Health Foundation recommends avoiding the use of dummies and discouraging thumb-sucking.
    • Using a dummy may affect your baby's speech development.
    • The action of sucking alone is of great comfort to most infants so having a dummy can help them feel more able to calmly adjust to life in the outside world.
    •   Dummy use reduces the likelihood that a baby will become a 'thumb sucker' as their mouth is otherwise occupied.

• Hi all

Thank you so much for all your informative replies.  The reason I was asking is mainly because of the apparent reduced risk of cot death when using a dummy.  Having looked more closely at the research however it does appear that it is quite inconclusive.  My LO doesnt appear to need a dummy at the moment as he is managing to settle himself using his own fingers, his thumb or sucking on my hubbys thumb (he's probably going to be a thumb sucker but hey ho). The problem I have is that since birth he has slept at the foot of our bed in his moses basket but I realise the time is coming to shortly move him into his own room (across the landing) before he grows out of his moses basket.  There is not room to move his cot into our room. Probably like all mums cot death is never far from our minds and I am feeling so scared at the thought of not having him in our room. when I heard that dummies were recommended I just wanted to get some opinions from other mums.  BW my HV told us the current recommendation is that LO remains with us in our room til he is 12 months old. Has anyone else heard this? Thanks again, xxx

• Ds1 had a dummy from birth but weaned himself off it by 6m. I Bf him for 12m. He learnt to settle himself. Ds2 had one from 4m. He had reflux and cried 24/7 the dummy took a while for him to accept but once he did he was ok. He used to go to bed with 3 or 4 and i never had problems with night waking. He was also Bf for 12m. He had it a lot until his 1st birthday when we banned it for bedtime and nap time only. Then when he was 2 father Christmas exchanged it for a pressi. We never looked back. Only negative comments we had was from the dentist. I have some ready for Ds3 and Will use them if he needs them. It is all personal choice. Not heard about keeping baby in with parents till 12m. Ds1 was in his own room at 9w i had baby monitor next to my bed. Ds2 went in with Ds1 at 6m once he was sleeping through. This time i Will play it by ear. Again the move is up to you. Hv can recommend but it is your choice. Ds1 slept better away from my snoring hubby lol! Good luck Xxx
  • hi angelina

the cot death research with dummies has not been endorsed as official advice. babies dont succumb to cot death unless they are sound asleep, a baby sucking on a dummy is not in a deep sleep so of course it wont happen whilst sucking on a dummy. however, when they do fall properly asleep the dummy just falls out! sometimes the people doing the research are under so much pressure to find something they grasp at straws! also, the biggest known reduction of cot death is breast feeding (reduces it by 40%) and early dummy use can intefere with this so its all swings and roundabouts really!

i heard to keep lo with you for 6 months, i strongly believe i would have done this had it not been an issue of logistics - the three of us crammed in one room unable to walk around the bed or cot. while lo's room was empty, oh snoring, etc. it was ok while he was tiny in a moses basket and maybe if hed been a smaller baby we'd have managed it but he grew out of the  basket really quick, did a couple of months with us in the cot and at 4 months i had to admit defeat. it didnt feel right the first couple of nights and i did worry about cot death but his door and our door were open, and its such a small house it seemed like we were pretty much together anyway! if we have another lo we will hopefully be in a bigger house and then id be happy to do 6 months. im not sure about 12 though as now lo wouldnt settle and would be trying to catch our attention! x

• The advice is 6 months, as others have said, but we moved Ryan out at 4 months. He was getting too big for his crib and we didn't have room for his cot in out room, lus he was waking every 2 hours overnight, after previously being a good sleeper. We moved him out and he immediately started sleeping better, i think we were all just disturbing each other. It is a worry, but we have the angelcare movement monitor and a video monitor on him which is a big reassurance.

I think the big thing for reducing the risk is making sure they're not too hot, and are put to sleep on their back. Which again is a worry once they start to roll over themselves!

• Hi angelina ballerina,

We gave our Lo dummy from a few weeks old and were advised to remove by 6 months which is what we did and it just meant we had to settle him in other ways. Our main reason was due to reflux which is now resolved.

I have heard about keeping Lo with you for 12 months but not sure where from! We had Lo in with us until 10 months but that was due to preference and moved him when we started to disturb him at night. When he outgrew moses basket we moved him into a crib purchased on eBay for ??10 to maximise space in our bedroom so that may be an option if you want to extend the time Lo is in with you.

Linds image