Forum home Babies Baby
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

My 4 month old is sleeping too much. Sick or normal?

My 4 month old has been sleeping most of the day today and it's almost 3pm.  He usually only naps for 45 minutes at a time and is alert and active the majority of the day.  Is this something to be concerned about?  He also slept a lot yesterday.  I'm a little worried.  No temperature though and doesn't appear sick other than sleeping too much.  Thanks

Replies

• I'd definitely recommend speaking to your health visitor or GP if you're really worried, but it could just be a growth spurt, my boy always slept longer during them, waking mainly to just eat!

• He could be coming down with something? My littlun always used to sleep a bit more when she was getting a cold etc. At that age they really need to wake up for food, if they aren't getting what they need they could be using up all their energy and then not having enough to wake properly for a feed, from what I've heard. May I ask if you're breastfeeding? Breastfed babies do tend to wake more quickly for food once they've processed what's in their system so if he hasn't fed for a good five or six hours it may be a good idea to wake him and see if he wants a feed. And if you are worried talk to the GP or phone NHS direct if the GP isn't able to talk. Hope everything is ok, xx

• I wouldn't worry too much, if he seems ok the rest of the time, feeding well and no temperature, he's probably going through a growth spurt. My son has lots of days when he sleeps little and then sleep all day. Being out in the car or buggy means he sleeps more too, if we're just at home he doesn't sleep much at all. Obviously call your HV though if youre concerned.