Forum home Babies Baby
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Phantom Baby X? And Y?

Hello Mamas! Have I got a riddle for you all! My last normal period began January 6. The Man and I had (lots of) unprotected sex during the remainder of January and a week or so before my next period, I started to feel "off". I'm one those women who knows almost immediately when things are not in sync. A week before my expected period, I started spotting after intercourse or when peeing, for 3 days. I took a test four days before AF at 4am and checked it hours later to see a faint positive. I knew I read it way later than directed and wasn't certain. I went to a health clinic, took their urine test and received a negative result. 2 weeks later, I went to another clinic and received the same result. At this time, the only symptoms I had were an abnormal period, some nausea, some bloating, and acne (which I NEVER have). No vomiting, no sore boobs, no strange cravings. I am very thin and known for my huge appetite but I have lost my appetite since all of this began. My weight has fluctuated as well. I gained 6lbs in 2 weeks, then lost it all and then some 2 weeks later. At first, I thought I was just stressed and it was manifesting physically but I've been much more stressed before and none of this ever occurred. My next expected period (Mar. 3) did not come until a few days later and was only the same odd spotting I had the month before, for a few days off and on. It has been nearly 11 weeks since my last normal period and I am fairly certain that I am pregnant but have no pee stick proof. For the last month or so I have been nauseous (no vomit), have had freezing/hot spells, some serious cramping, weird flutters, and have developed quite the firm bulge that sticks out for my petite frame, even though I've been working it out. I can feel whatever I eat or drink pass through my esophagus and it is pretty uncomfortable. I've never felt anything like it, so I had to look it up! 'Dysphagia'. And while I haven't had strange sleep patterns, strange food cravings, or an insatiable appetite, the Man has (along with lots of stomach discomfort!). I recently went to a physician who was so stumped he had to get a second opinion. The second opinion want sure either but THINKS it could be an infection, and wanted me to take 3 different medicines for it. No way! I am 24 years old and was taken off BC over a year ago because of my estrogen levels. Two years ago, i decided to donate my eggs to a fertility clinic to share my fertile wealth, so my body has been affected by IVF medications. I've Googled my behind off and have come across occurrences with women who couldn't make a + HPT, to discover twins in the second trimester. Not to mention, I've been seeing things in two's lately, including a single fruit with 2 pits!! I'm really just stumped. I could very well not be pregnant but what else could it be?? Has anyone else ever experienced anything like this? Most days I'm sure I'm pregnant (with twins nonetheless!), other days i think I'm totally out of my mind or have some crazy disease. Any insight?

Replies

• I have no idea what it could be other than pregnancy, but I always thought phantom pregnancies were just old wives tales until my husbands auntie had one a few years ago, so it's a possibility, fingers crossed you get a positive test soon!!!!!
  • Just to add to that, with the phantom pregnancy she was getting positive hpt, it wasn't until she had a dating scan they discovered nothing was there, it was so weird, her symptoms took a few weeks to go away as she was so convinced she was pregnant.
  • Phantom pregnancies do occur when your body picks up on a thought/desire of pregnancy & mimics the symptoms.

It could also be a genuine pregnancy but your hormone levels are building slowly (my sister only got a faint BFP at 12wks with my nephew).

Try getting a referral to a gynocauligist to shed some light on the matter.  Best wishes & good luck.