Forum home Babies Baby
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

my 15 day old still has jaundice and im really worried about it

my newborn is 15days old and became jaundiced at about 3-4days old. my midwife came last week and said it would be gone by 14days, she came today and its not gone, hes still yellow, she said his body looks better but his face and head are still yellow. she called up the hospital and if hes still yellow in 1 week he will need to be taken into hospital for blood tests. she told me not to worry and some babies take longer than others to clear up, and because it appeared when he was 3-4days its not a huge worry because babies with problems it usually appears the day they are born.
she told me to keep an eye on him, on his poop, his pee, and him in himself, if he seams unwell at all, he his poop is grey coloured or pee is dark i need to go straight to A&E. why would she tell me this if there is really no reason to worry? im really worried now that something is wrong.
did anybody elses baby get jaundice at 3-4days and it last over 2wks and everything be perfectly fine?
also hes gained almost 1lb since birth, which my midwife said is a good sign

Replies

• Options

Hi Louise i just wanted to reply to hopefully put your mind at ease i had a little boy in Oct 2012 & he got jaundice on the day we left hosp (day 3 as had elcs) that is classed as a good sign as its more a case of the body just taking longer to regulate the liver rather than there being a problem with liver also if u bf it can take longer to go i did have to take my son to hospital (u don't have to stay in) & he had to have blood tests i'm not gonna lie it was horrid & i highly recommend that u take someone with u my sons level was 288 i was told if over 300 they would put under the uv lights if under he would have to go back in 7-10 days to re test they like it to be under 100 (when it goes down it goes down quick) unfortuantly it took my son 4 weeks till it went down so too many blood test 4 my liking so i know its a scary time but they are just moniting him also the less down the body the better as it works from the head down if that makes sense my son still had it all over his tummy hope this puts your mind at ease & not scared u

Billie xx 

• Options

billie... so if 1 week ago it was not on his legs anymore but his body and face... and this week its just his head and face. is that a good sign?? xx

• Options

Yes Louise it is the less they have on their body the better thats why they look at them naked but to me it sounds like he is getting better Bailey had it from his head to his belly button sounds like u might be lucky & he is ok in a weeks time or enough for them to leave him just a thing if u do have to take him to hospital they will want a urine sample so try & get it at home b4 u go saves loads of time but fc u don't need to go   i'm sure the mw/hv has said have him in sunlight (where is it ????) & if u r bf feed as much as poss

Billie x

• Options

As long as you take him to the hospital he should be perfectly fine. I've had one child with jaundice and he recovered perfectly fine! Best of luck!

-----------------------------------------

Julie

http://toptenreview.hubpages.com/hub/Best-Toys-for-3-Year-Olds2

• Options

Louise how is your bubba has the mw / hv been again hope its all cleared up hun

Billie xx

• Options

My youngest had jaundice too.  I was told to ensure feeds were within 4hrs of one another, waking baby if necessary, & to get baby plenty of sunshine.  It worked wonders.  Best wishes.

• Options

Please take jaundice seriously. I'm a father of a child who was named brains damage a condition called kernicterus. This happens of you get jaundice within 24 hours and if the levela get high they can cause brain damage.  My son is now blind deaf and hsee cerebral palsy. Please please see my sits dedicated to him. Www.mylittlespartan.co.uk

Please at least check the babies blood for a bilirubin level atimid wives are suppose to in their guidelines.