Forum home Babies Baby
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

winding problems

My daughter is two weeks old today god time has flown by. She doesnt settle at all during the night and is having alot of trouble bringing up wind which seems to be causing her aloy of discomfort and pain. Iv tried infacol and even have doctor brown bottles but she still seems in pain is there anything else I can try? Hv said gripe water can only be used at 1month + but I cant stand to see her in pain another two week I try her over my shoulder on my knee sitting her up for 30 minutes after a feed . But so far nothing had worked I feel so uselss :/

Replies

• Hi. My lo was diagnosed at 8wks with silent reflux hes noe 7mths and reflux is more or gone. When he was tiny he grimaced and groaned a lot when I put him down and would never sleep in the basket he'd end up waking crying he just never slept except on our chests or in the sling/carrier. He was always alert looking and had very good head neck control which is a sign of reflux sometimes as the baby is straightening themselves to avoid acid pain. He also developed a cough,sounded congested though didn't have a cold and hiccuped an awful lot. The doc said to try infant gaviscon and gave me a prescription for ranitidine but I just stuck with the gaviscon. I was breastfeeding and I gave up dairy as some babies are dairy intolerant and this worsens the reflux...

baby digestive systems are still developing when they're tiny..I thought he had bad wind too and was using infacol.

your baby may not have reflux but I would continue to hold them for half an hour after feed. Dont change bottles too much as they have to adjust. My lo also strained a lot getting used to doing poos..he'd lie there straining and pushing. .if it wasn't one thing it was the other lol!

We ended up buying a baby hammock for him to sleep in and that helped until 6 mths now he's in his cot but we elevate one end with books so there's a gradient.

Try winding after every couple of ounces and change the position you wind them in around..Over the shoulder and then seated with your hand under chin etc.

Keep an eye out for symptoms of silent reflux in case that's the cause. My lo still only naps upright in the buggy and in the sling!

Newborns are hard work.. if he settles on you try and nap together. .This stage doesn't last and you will never have it again so try to relax- they get through the discomfort all you can do is try your best.

My baby used to be so grumpy and uncomfortable crying and moaning .. when we got the gaviscon it made such a difference.

After 12 weeks their system strengthens and they start winding themselvesimage

Talk to your health nurse and trust your gut.

Get some sleep and pass baby to someone else if you can to wind so you get a break.

good luck.image
  • Hi I do baby reflexology. I get alot off mummys coming to me for wind & colic problems & what I do always works &,it did for my kids . I will tell you how to do it bath your baby ( have you got a relaxing baby oil ) normal baby oil is fine &after bath lye baby on back & put oil on your hands but rub them alot until they are hot then rub all over chest & tummy then do what I call I love u. You just go from chest strate to tummy then u want to do the "L" WICH WILL B RIGHT TO LEFT of tummy & then left to right your hands will meet up in middle of baby. Then do the U. All you do is start both hands at top of chest then bring tem down to do u shape one HAND AT A TIME & to finish it up just massage belly by right hand@ top & left at bottom going. Opposite direction and keep doing it fir about 5_10 mins. Hope this helps you if you don't understand any let me know . I will get back to you either way let me know as I do baby yoga wich also helps .xx
  • SORRY YHE L SHAPE STARTS LEFT TO RIGHT WITH UR RIGHT HAND AND KEEP GOING LEFT TO RIGHT & THEN DO THE "U"
  • Thank you so much everyone she seems a little more relaxed after the i love u massage image it sounds very similar to luloos problems I.e hiccus coughing always lifting her neck herself always alert ect midwife is here Wednesday so I will mention silent reflux to her and see what she says iv also signed up for baby yoga that starts in two weeks so fingers crossed she feels better soon
  • Sorry Samfoxy I replied to your other post not realising it was you again! Ive been up all night feeding lo so not quite with it!