Forum home Babies Baby
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

silent acid reflux

My lo is 16 days old and has all the symptoms of s.a.r she only settles on my cgesr with her back arched cries like shes hungry even tho she isnt already lifting her head sneezing frequent hiccups raspy breathing and generally unhappy its so hard seeing her in pain and being so helpless anyone have any advice shes only 16 day's so I dont think giving her medicine is the safest option :/ anyone had this problem before?? X

Replies

• My son has silent reflux and is only just starting to get over it now hes sitting crawling etc..

we ordered a baby hammock for his sleeping (amby baby hammock) godsend! Sum people use swings for naps and even sleep. Elevate one emd of the cot/basket using books. Elevate the buggy/pram to seated as far as u think she'll go without slumping. My son slept on his side before we got the hammock as he would gag when he lay on his back. I breastfed and used gaviscon which my doctor directed me to give before a feed as opposed to after as thrres no way a babu would take it after a feed the way the instructions describe- I don't know if you are breastfeeding butvif you are and have any questions I can tell you what I did. As your baby is only 16 days I wouldnt administer any medication without doctor advice. I was fortunate and we didn't need to use our prescription for ranitidine.basically keeping baby upright. I allowed baby to feed as much as he wanted but fed one breast per feed to reduce fast feeding and to lessen wind- I also went off dairy as lots of reflux babies are dairy intolerant. If you're bottle feeding you may have to change formula talk to your doctor for advice. . My lo still coughs a lot when he's teething. .

it's still early days so I wouldn't jump to silent reflux too soon but at the same time trust your gut-

My little guy was so uncomfortable and grumpy but he was 8 weeks when we got a diagnosis after we implemented all the changes he was so much happier- now he's such a smiler.

hope some of that helps image
  • Oh yeah- dont pat back to wind as this can irritate reflux, hold for at least half an hour after feeding before laying down. No bouncy games/chairs! image