Forum home Babies Baby
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

how much should a partner who works full time be helping when he returns home??

our budnle is almost 5months now and at first my partner would help alot as soon as he got in from work, and on weekends he would do the night feeds. i have two more children from a previous relationship which he was great with. but now hes not, hes quite moody with them and only has time for our baby. but if hes in a good mood hes great with my kids who are 4 and 3. i feel bad asking him for help when he gets in from work because i know he works hard all day. i do all the house work, cooking and cleaning and looking after a baby and 3year old all day and two school runs a day. then he gets in from work and hes straight upstairs on his playstation. he will stay on it most of the night until he gets hungry. if i take the baby upstairs for bed and hes still in our room and he crys my partner gets angry because hes interupting his playstation time. he never does the night feeds anymore its always me, and he never gets up in the morning on weekends with the kids to let me have a lie-in one morning and id do it for him the next morning. my mum told me shes noticed a change in his mood and doesnt want to come over. she said he never speaks anymore. i dont know whats going on with him?? how much should he be helping me after a long day at work

Replies

• It's a tough one but I know how u feel, my oh was self employed when we had our first so only had 3 days off then went back to 16 hour days so I had to do it all myself and I still do now as he still works long hours. I don't think it's unreasonable to ask for something from him certainly more than ur getting now. For me it's less about the housework etc and more about making sure he has time with his daughter after work. I'm quite lucky as he does help out now and then, and tends to wait till later on to go on his play station. Sounds like something is bothering him what with his change in behavior can u think of anything at all? It's not fair to take it out on u n the kids x

• he suffered depression for a short while after our bub was born. but claimed he was much better after seeing a doctor and talking to someone. i can only think it may be coming back

• If I was in your shoes I would sit down with him and take things through. Maybe try and be child free for a few hours so you can both have a good talk? Maybe he's feeling down because one baby is hard work never mind three under one roof? U both might need quality time together? I hope u can sort things out image xxx
  • If he's suffered depression in the past it could be creeping back on him? And he dosent want to admit it to you? Knowing u have a lot to deal with already with the children? Sorry for my rambling on, but I hope it helps xxx
  • Yeah I agree maybe its time for a chat. At least he knows then ur there for him n u understand and will support him. Life's tough these days I don't think it takes much to get u down x

• thank you girlies... he seamed much happier after work today, he spent time downstairs with us and he even made tea! hes having a couple of hours on his playstation now to unwind while i watch tv and whatnot since all the kids are fast asleep in bed. i will have a chat to him tonight in bed x

• How'd it go? X