Forum home Babies Baby

causes for my 3 month baby's constipation

My 3 month old has not had a poo in 5 days now.  She is passing a lot of wind though. Her tummy is soft.  I have tried massaging her tummy, moving her legs, giving her a warm bath - but nothing has helped.  The longest she has ever gone without doing a poo is 2 days.  I am concerned.  1 week ago I had the Mirena implanted.  I am wondering if this has any effect on my baby and her bowel movement.  Could it be just a coincidence?  Has anyone had any experience wit this?

Replies

• Hi, maybe she just doesn't need to go? If her tummy isn't hard then that's a good sign. Is she in any pain or discomfort? I took my dd to the gp when she wasn't pooing and they said they don't  class not going as constipation, they class it as constipation when they do go but it's hard and painful. Id keep doing what ur doing and eventually something will come out the other end. Maybe offer her little sips of sterilized water in her bottle between feeds just to keep her insides well lubricated x

• Hi LH86. Thanks for your response.  I am only breastfeeding.  I have been told not to give water until baby is at least on solids.  Don't know how correct or incorrect this information is - there is just so much information out there and some of it quite conflicting.  

She is not uncomfortable from what I can tell.  She is happy and her usual self.  I can see she tries to push but whether it is for letting gas out or trying to poop - I'm not sure.  At least the gas does comeo out.  I'll keep doing what I'm doing and see how things go.

• Yeah it's hard to know what's right. You would know if she was in any pain I'm sure, if she goes and it's hard and pellet like then I'd say take her to the gp as that would indicate constipation. Hope she goes soon! X

• We got good news - she finally went after 6 days.  No problems at all.  Thanks for your insight and support.  image

• Yaaay good stuff x

• Hi, Anetta! Don't worry about it at all! In breastfed babies, this is not true constipation, it is called "pseudo-constipation", and is totally harmless. Many breastfed babies can go for about 10 days without pooping and that happens because their bodies can use most of breastmilk and it takes long to form residue from time to time. 

Don't give anything else besides breastmilk. You're doing a great job!

(Have been a breastfeeding counselor for almost 4 years)