Forum home Babies Baby

Thumb sucker or just normal stage

Rubbish questions but how do you know if your baby is truly a thumb sucker or just being curious about fingers, thumbs in mouth and sucking or a stage. My lo one does this occasionally thru the day is perment  thing or just a stage how would you classified a thumb sucker. He is 6 month old has been doing this since he was 4 months  Anything I can do to discourage? 

Replies

• Cinnamon on the thumb my grandmother used for my mother. Worked like a charm. She held a grudge though - my mother that is - and so refused to do it to my brother who was a big thumb sucker. At one point his right hand thumb was almost double the size of the other. Ofcourse he eventually stopped, but I cannot rememeber how ... which is of course the the thing you would actually want to know ...! I will find out from my mum and get back to you! (Or you can just try the cinammon ...)

• It is a 'comfort' thing.  All babies will find their own way to 'pacify' be it sucking upon a dummy, sucking upon a blankie/toy or sucking upon their thumb.

If you dislike them using their thumb then either try offering a substitute (dummy, blankie or toy) or you can buy special 'pastes' to paint the end of their thumb with (the taste/smell discourages the sucking.

• I was thinking about putting something bitter but don't know what is considered safe for a 6 month old,  all the bitter nail polish i believe are for older kids. how would you keep pastes on there thumb? Where can u get these special pastes? At night I put thick socks on but durning the day it's harder right he wants to play I try to keep his hands busy. I just don't know if he just being curious or actually taking too thumb is hen he cries he doesn't go after his thumb, still makes me nervous.