Forum home Babies Baby

Purple crying?

Sooooo my first was obviously a dream baby cuz I've never heard a baby scream like Lexie lol. I've read about purple crying and think this is what it is as we've ruled out all other possibilities, not hungry, not wet or dirty, not hot or cold, not in pain, sleeps when she's tired. Crying usually starts about tea time and lasts till bedtime which at the mo is any time between 11 and 1am. We try everything to settle her down, I've just managed to calm her with Baby TV and the vibrating bouncer. Once she gets hungry I'll feed her and she'll settle beautifully in her Moses basket and sleep for a good 3-4 hours till she wants feeding again, and usually goes off within an hour of her night feed but it's that period in the evening where you just can't do anything her. Never had this with my first does anyone have any tips? We try all the usual stuff, pram, play mat, baby massage, rocking and bouncing but the other day she literally screamed all day n didn't stop unless I was feeding her or she was asleep! X

Replies

• hi(again not stalking promise lol)

never heard of purple crying but all of mine had a fussy time of day normaly the evening and i know it doesnt help but they just grew out of it. maybe try baby massage??

• Do u think she gets bother with colic or something that time of day? I agree with the s

• I'm using gripe water n colic drops but hv doesn't think she's in any pain. Was up till 1am with her this morning just fussing. Managed to feed her to sleep eventually lol x

• i do remember that amelie started to become unsettled about half nine the first night it happened i tried everything the next night i decided just to turn the light off so it was dark and she stopped and settled herself strait back to sleep

• Well were in bed, she's just been for a biiiiig poo n had half her bedtime feed but she looks n sounds completely out of it so fx this is me for the next 3-5 hours zzzzzzzzzzzzxx image x

• my eldest two were EXACTLY the same. screamed blue murder from seven pm until around eleven pm EVERY night without fail, the doctor and health visitor kept telling me it was "teatime colic" and then hen my second was three monhs old and still screaming (and i mean SCREAMING relentleslesy for upto four hours solid at a time) i got a new health visitor (the old one left) and she asked was her poo greeny or sloppy (answer was yes) was she projectile vomiting (answer was yes to the point where it came out of her nose and she choked and star fished wide eyed as it stopped her breathing it was terrifying) she said it sounded like lactose intolerance and to try infasoy (baby soya milk made now by cow and gate) and withing a couple of weeks she was a completely different baby. i actually cried with relief!!! I'd tried colief drops, bloody expensive for a tiny bottle lol, and infacol and gripe water it all did nothing whatsoever. if your baby IS lactose intolerant you can get infasoy on prescription too. and also you can get colief drops on prescription which i didn't find out until I'd paid a small fortun for them over the months. babies with lactose intolerance (which is very common as their digestive system is so immature for the first few months they cannot break down the lactose which is also found in breastmilk) dont always have the full list of symptoms, but it's deffo worth looking at the "checklist" I'd say hun! just to rule it out as a cause. i hope this helps you narrow it down hun as i know how distressing it is for both you and baby to go through the hours of screaming. i ended up with pnd and on antidepressants as i just felt so helpless and lack of sleep drove me to insanity almost as even when she slept I'd be awke making sure she wasn't choking.  i hope it all settles soon for you.both hunni and good luck xxxxxx

• Thanks hun ill check that out, her poo isn't green but she does sick out of her nose a lot I asked hv yest about how much milk she should bring up after feeds as she always seems to b spitting up but she said its normal and to get on with it basically! I have my 6 week check soon so I'll ask about it. Had a pretty good night last night slept from 11 till 3 then again till about 6:40 x

• ahh bles  her, it isnt "normal" it may be common but.its certainly not normal. when i used to tell the hv that my baby was sick and it would come out of her nose so she actually choked and couldnt breathe her nose and mouth ha  vomit pouring out of thrm so obviously she was u able to breathe while it was happening, the hv basically called me a liar claimed iwas over exaggerating an  that "of course she wasnt choking or unable to breathe" she was just "holding her breath because she didnt like being sick" and that if it happened again i shouldnjust "blow in her face and she would snap out of it"  i tried the blowing in her face and she looked even more terrified , eyes wide and arms and legs out in a rigid  star fish position shaking with pure fear. i was absolutely livid and in the end the new hv knew straight away what wa  wrong and believed me when i told her what kept happening. hv can be so snotty and assume they know it ALL and us mothers are just "over reacting" or "nervous parents"  if i were you hun i wouldnt feel worried about asking for a second opinion or going to a gp. a hv is just there for advice and know nothing about possible medical conditions and fob us off all too easily. i put my third baby on infasoy from birth and can literally count on one hand the amount of times she was sick, she is one now an  doing great. they have all grown out of  the lactose intolerance.i will also be putting this baby on infasoy from birth. xxxx