Forum home Babies Baby

Tongue Tie

Hello,

I recently had a lactation consultant come by as I was having breastfeeding is

issues. With that she mentioned that my baby had tongue tie.  We are scheduled to have a procedure to have this fixed next week, he will be over 3 weeks old.

However finding this out has left me devastated.  Any moms out there who have any experience with this? did u have the procedure completed on your child?  did you run into any feeding speech issues down the line? 

Thanks!

Worried Mommy

Replies

• Our DS2 had an 100% tongue tie, meaning it was the most severe kind. We had the procedure completed when he was 7 days old. It was fine and was vey quick. Be prepared to see a lot of blood in their mouth when it is cut but the nurse quickly blotted it away. I fed him straight away afterwards to comfort him and he was fine.

i can't recommend it enough, he immediately started feeding for longer and had a better latch. If I hadnt had it done, I know I'd have given up breastfeeding sooner than I wanted.

• I dont have experience but tongue tie came up as a conversation at my mw appointment on Weds as my hospital where I will have the baby has a special Dr or something that can do it. If it happened to our baby, the mw said it would be picked up during initial first checks when the baby is born and they simply snip the tongue to free it. She said it is done very quickly and there is a spot or so of blood and that's it. Hopefully it is the same with an older baby.

Best of luck x