Forum home Babies Baby
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

when to change nappy size?

Hi all,

can i just ask you experienced mummys out there how you know when to go up a size nappy wise???

Chloe is still in size 1's. she weighs 10lbs 5oz as of yesterday so getting near the 11lb max size supposedly. pampers and huggies still fit great, in fact the tabs are still overlaped on the front when done up.

however i bought a pack of tescos ones last weekend to try as we were getting low on nappies and want to save some money if poss. size 1's are meant to be for the same weight but they barely fit her.

She is on special milk and has explosive poos (sorry tmi!!) and i'm too scared to put them on her as they may leak as I'm not convinced over their fit on her and you get no warning with the poos either!!

So sorry but two questions really:

1. how do you know when to change size i.e. when they hit the max weight or when they start to leak or what?

2. are all the supermarket ones the same, i.e the weight on the front of the packet is crap - is there some special trick to it?!! lol!!

Help please as i need to buy some more but don't want to waste yet more money and don't want to buy size 1's if she wil outgrow soon (she's gaining weight fast!)

thanks once again for your wonderful knowledge and wisdom!

lara xx

Replies

• Hiya,

I tend to move Evie up once she reaches the minimum weight of the next size. She's now 11lb11oz and I've just bought some sz 3 pampers for her. She still has some sz 2's to use up but they're getting a little snug round the legs and she's such a wriggler that I think they were getting a bit uncomfy. Don't know on the supermarket brand nappies cos I only use pampers for her. However, I buy Asda pull ups for Joe and they're quite generous in size!!

Xx
  • i used reusable nappies when my lo was new she is 9 months now and we use disposables coz she out grew the biggest size reusables!! we use tescos own i have tried pampers,huggies and the rest i think tescos are the best ones.. sainsburys come up really small i bought size 5 in there and they are tiny.. like a tesco 3 or 4.. it is all trial and error different nappies work 4 different people.. my sister will only use pampers..
  • I too would advise going straight to size 3 as they will do for a long time and are in the correct weight braket and also the size 2 and 3s are the same price.
  • thanks, can i just ask though am i being thick or if size 1 pampers and huggies still fit, would size 3 not be huge on her?! i already have a few packs of size 2's i got with vouchers we had so will try to use them up first before trying size 3's.

at least with the bigger sizes you can buy bigger packs that are better value too.

also do you stick with newborn or go onto baby dry or whatever the next one is?

sorry i just find things like this a complete mindfield and really keen not to waste money!

thanks

lara xx
  • Our baby is very long and thin so she stayed in the smaller size nappies for a lot longer than the weight guide suggested. I think it just depends on the baby. I would suggest buying a smaller pack of the next size to try and play it by ear each day until she seems more comfortable and better protected in the bigger ones. There are always other mums around with younger babies who will be more than grateful for the few small nappies you have left over!

We used Pampers New Baby up to size 3 then moved to Active Fit. I think these are much better than the Baby Dry. I've found that the Baby Dry have a really funny smell when they're wet - something to do with the beads inside that absorb the moisture. The Active Fit have been great since our baby is so wiggly! They're very similar to the New Baby ones. We tried Asda own brand once and had a massive leak. I wouldn't use them again. Pampers seems more comfortable on her than the Huggies but we do buy Huggies when they're on special offer sometimes. Join the Pampers online club to get vouchers in the post.
  • Well after explosive nappies every day this week I decided that it was probably a good idea to move Cole to size 4's! I think he is probably close to the weight range but I have no idea really cause I haven't had him weighed in ages. That and he's been waking in the night and needing his nappy changed.

I've tended to switch nappy sizes as Cole hits the lower end of the weight and its been working so far. Having said that - he ended up in size 3 nappies at a week old cause hubby bought hte wrong ones and they were huge on him but they didn't leak when we had to use them!

It won't hurt to try your lo on the bigger size, if they are too big then she'll grow into them eventually!
  • Hiya this has always confused me too - Lewis was in size 1 for about a month then he went from that to size 3, the bigger the nappy the more they hold lol - if you find that your baby is wet alot then go up a size! i read it on here, Lewis was always wekeningin the night soaken wet and i thought it was just because he peed alot but his nappies were too small, they seemed to fit ok but obviously were not doing what they were supposed to do!

Lewis wear 4 + now, but if you look at a nappy your not supposed to pull them tight closed there are little marks on the side of the nappy where the sticky bits go, it was my mum that pointed it out as i always pulled Lewis's nappy tight!

As kia said they wont go to waste as you will need them eventually!
  • I've used tesco own size 3 for Ellie she's 15lb15oz so she's in the middle fo the weight bracket (altho hubby just bought size 4 they start from 15lb but are a bit big) and they are good nappies altho they seem a bit stiff unlike pampers. I've had to stop using the big named nappies as Ellie is allergic to them and Lidl's are good and fit just the same and as well as pampers and are movable and not stiff. During the day she is in washables but at night she's in disposables. But each nappy fits babies different so it's a case of trying them if you buy bigger sizes you will use them eventually like the others say so don't worry about that. x
  • I changed from size 1 to 2 when the nappy started to leak - then after a week went to 3. If the nappy seems changing more than usual or if the exposive ones!!! go everywhere then thats a good indication!
  • Hi babe i bought loads od size 1 and 2 nappies and have loads left over i used to but them when they were on special. Daisy has beenin huggies size 3 for ages, they arnt as big as you thinkthey are going to be. I think she was 10 10 when i first put her in them. Daisy has had explosive poohs in past although as you know now they are very clay like but i felt like she needed bigger nappy to accomodate all the pooh when she eventually went!!!! I only used two packs of size 2 so if you do use them dont buy loads. I read on here that one mum uses supermarket own brand s inday when you are doing regular nappy change sthen uses huggies for night times which i thought was a goood idea. I might try this although i hate to admit it i am a bit of a nappy snob!!! But i will as they are so expensive, mind you i dont use as many as i thought i would i only really do a change after a feed and as she doesnt have night feeds anymore i probly only use 5 or 6 nappies a day. Kiss for chloe x
  • trial and error! if you think she's reaching the next size, buy a pack and try one on her! if it fits nicely and doesnt leak then once the smaller pack is finished just continue using the bigger size! even if you find theyr too big its not money going to waste as you can just keep them for later on!
  • As the other ladies have said its trial and error.
    Matthew now weighs 15lb 6oz and is in size 3. I just upped the size when the tabs on the front were getting further and further apart! We've tried lots of the brands and found that Morrisons are really good, so we tend to use those in the day and Pampers Baby Dry at night because he sleeps through and he has never woken wet in the night. I've heard people rave about Huggies, but every single one leaked on Matthew - shame really as I've loads of Huggies coupons! Every baby is different, so just buy small packs until you find a brand/size that suits. Avoid Boots own brand though - shockingly bad!!!!
    xx.
  • Like everyone else, I have found that I get bettter fits with some brand than others. After trial and error we found we prefer Tesco and Asda own brands over others. Pampers are also good but Huggies have leaked for us at every size. The worst nappies (for us) were Wilkinsons and Sainsburys. The Wilkinsons ones just smelt of chemicals and were very stiff the Sainsbury ones just were the wrong shape for us.  My baby, who normally sleeps through the night, has started waking at 4am with a leaking nappy so I'm increasing the size we put her in at night but staying in the lower size during day until we've used them all up.