Forum home Babies Baby
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

anyone had baby on nutramigen?

Replies

• Options
    Thanks for the reply!
    We're having a better day today thank goodness, my lo has just finished a 6oz bottle with minimal screaming! I pray that this milk is the answer and stops her suffering. It is so hard not to get stressed when she just refuses to eat as she was a small baby to begin with and has not gained weight very well since birth.
    I will peservere and hopefully she will grow to love it too.
    I did have a taste just out of curiosity and it almost made gag!!

• Options
    hello mums! i'm new to this site, just been prescribed nutramigen by doc for hazel (6 months) and googled it to see what was all about and found you lot! will start nutramigen tmrw but am now worried it will taste naff, after what you've all said. we've been having loads of trouble getting hazel to take her bottle for almost 2 months. she used to like it (aptimal) then gradually stopped enjoying it to then going cold turkey and adamently refusing to put it in her mouth! her weight was dropping and the only way we could feed her was doing dreamfeeds which was really stressful. anyway, 1,000 doc visits later, they say there's nothing wrong with her, even though she's also got terrible excema on her face and chest. i thought the taste of aptimal might be disgusting her (?!?) so she's been on HippOrganic for 2 weeks, but excema is now horrendous, and doc today prescribed nutramigen, saying it could be a milk intolerance.
    it's all a bit of a grey area though... she spits up all the time but no projectile vomits or crying fits (tummy aches), just hates to eat and has bad excema, and now bad constipation! i want to wean but worried about introducing too many things at once into her little system.
    anyone else had a baby who didn't like to eat??? any tips?
    i was starting to think it was all a behavioural prob (is this even possible at 4 months old?!) until her excema got bad, now i'm sure it's all related somehow.
  • Options
    My youngest is on Nutramigen - he's now 18months and only on 2 6oz bottles but we flavour it with 2 scoops of strawberry nesquick!!!!! Doesn't exactly improve on the smell but must do something to the flavour as he went from drinking a cpl of oz at a time to downing nearly a whole bottle!!!!

Is ur lo weaning or been weaned??? Mite b worth a try if weaned as it's normally around this age teeth start popping thru so teeth brushing starts.
  • Options
    my son was on nutramigen since 3 months & around 7 months went on to Nutramigen 2. He is now 16 months & went back onto a soya formula (Cow & Gate infasoy) a couple of months ago at the hv suggestion. He was fine with the taste, they don't know the difference imo so don't make a big deal about it & has always gained weight well, when we weaned I used soya milk though as it did give the food a funky taste.

When my son was first diagnosed with LI, it took him a couple of days to get used to the new formula but I realised later on that it was actually the other milk (that was causing him pain) coming out of his system that was the problem & that he had built a fear of the bottle due to this too, once he realised that the new milk wasn't going to give him belly ache he took to it no problem so if it takes lo a couple of days to get used to it then dont worry.
  • Options
    Hi

We've been using Nutramigen for 18mths due to multiple allergies and in that time they have improved the taste and smell!

i couldn't get my daughter to touch it so we too add one scoop of Nesquik to each bottle; would recommend banana over strawberry for very young children with multiple allergies as less likely to cause a reaction.

you get some great looks when out and about feeding your baby pink or bright yellow milk
    :\)
  • Options
    hi mums. my bubs is 9 weeks old and im currently trying her with nutramigen (not much luck). i was breastfeeding untill she was five weeks then i had to switch to formula because she was constantly hungry, so i tried her on cow n gate, then cow and gate for hungrier babies. she had suffered from terrible wind from around two weeks of age and it had seemed to be increasing.
    she at five weeks started to come up in red, very angry(raised and hot), patches on her face and back, but time again i was told it was normal for babies. but as the days went on i realised that it was eczema as it became dry and flaky and she was constantly trying to scratch at the patches.
    after much nagging i finally got the doctors to take me seriously and speak to me as a mum and not a 'new mum' (im sure you know what i mean), i was told to try watch her for a week and see if there was any relation to her feeds and when the scratching took place. sure enough they came one after the other, but after a while the eczema had seemed to be clearing(with the help of double base). i then tried her on aptamil to see if there was a difference in her eczema and she was fine for around a week then the eczema started to get worse again.
    she was then prescribed nutramigen 1 to try for two weeks to see if it improved her symptoms...to no joy we didnt even last 2 days. it smell awful and tastes just as bad as it smells. poor bubs just couldn't keep it down and refused to drink anymore than two ounces. so i switched her back to aptamil because she clearly enjoys it but her eczema is getting worse. any suggestions of what to try next?
  • Options
    When my son got to 6 weeks he started having watery poos and after a week of that he started having blood and thick mucous in his nappy. I took him to the walk in clinic at my local surgery and they sent him in to the local paediatric unit of the hospital. Straight away they diagnosed milk protein intolerance and put him on Nutramigen. I was really shocked as the only symptoms he had was dry, rough skin on his cheeks and the loose poos and then eventually blood. He never cried or was sick. I then thought back and realised he passed a lot of wind as well but nothing else. The Nutramigen smells revolting, I think of raw potato peelings but the change in him is incredible. Within 12 hours his rough skin on his cheeks was gone and within 48 hours no more blood. He hated the taste but eventually started to drink it. My GP not very happy to prescribe it because he says it is just milk!!! My response being it is double the price for half the amount of my usual milk.
  • Options
    my little lad was the same, he was hospitalised for obs as he had very bloody poos, nappy rash and dry skin...

hes on nutramigen, gaining weight and is a different baby, so happy and gigglly now at 7 weeks, its lovely to see.. bless him image

http://newtickers.bump-and-beyond.com/23/2320/232025.png

• Options
    my daughter (now 15 months) was finally diagnosed at 12 weeks old with milk protein allergy. As I was breast feeding I had to cut all dairy from my diet - very tough but worth it to have a happy baby! Stopped breast feeding at 11 months and I introduced nutramigen 2 formula on prescription, she wasn't keen but persevered and she now still enjoys 2 bottles a day! Have tried re-introducing dairy twice with advice from hospital but still definitly allergic. My little one also suffered terribly with reflux until about 10 months old, so also had to give her infant gaviscon, was told that reflux is quite common in babies with milk allergy...anybody else find this?

[Modified by: tcar on November 10, 2008 11:02 PM]

• Options
    My little boy, Alfie, was admitted into hospital with suspected meningitus. It was a very scary couple of days. Once we learned that it wasnt menigitus, we were told it was just a tummy bug. After 4 days of not eating he was placed on IV fluids and fed Aptamil through an NG tube. He seemed to be getting no better. :cry: I asked the doctors to try him on a different milk as ever since I stopped breast feeding he seemed to be quite irritable after feeds and did alot of groaning. As he was a premature baby i was told this was normal and not to worry. The doctors refused to try him on a different milk even after he started to vomit constantly and have the most horrendous poo, saying it was just a bug.:evil: They eventually stopped giving him milk and replaced it with diralyte. He seemed to improve after 7 days on this. After the improvement the doctors put him back on milk and he got worse again very quickly (matter of hours). I asked the doc's if he had an developed an allergy one replied no just a bug the other said yes he had. At this point (day 10 of being in hospital and being on IV fluid and having lost 10oz) I lost it. :x I demanded to see a consultant or i was taking him to another hospital. Within 10mins I had a consultant and within 30mins his allergy was diagnosed. He was discharged from hospital today (day 16) after 6days feeding happily on Nutramigen. I am furious it took so long and for my baby to become so ill before anyone would listen or do anything about it.....

His poo is just turning green and smelly but i believe this is normal? I have to get his milk put on perscription on Monday, how do I get the doctor to give me more than one tin at once???

• Options
    my son was on it for a short time but he was alergic to it as well x
  • Options
    Hello Alfie's Mummy

yes the green poo is normal, but we found it a small price to pay for the excema free baby. Your GP should be able to provide 28 days supply at a time; we get 6 tins each script as this is all i can carry on the buggy.

Glad to hear your little ones better now.
  • Options
    Hi I've just found this site after googling nutramigen. My son was diagnosed with LI at 7 weeks, my hv suggested I try him with wysoy as he was already on sma. I found this to be an instant cure for him. A few weeks later I got a call telling me he couldn't have that milk as it may cause more allergies later and would have to try him on another. This was when he was prescribed nutramigen 1 I tried this for 2 weeks but found it put him back to square 1 with really bad nappy rash runny bum and projectile vomiting so I put him back on wysoy and he was instantly better again. I was then told I would have to give the nutramigen another go which I did but again he turned into the devil child. He is now on nutramigen aa which they didn't want to give him as "it was too expensive" which seems to be working fingers crossed.
  • Options
    nutramigen is great my baby is now nearly 11 weeks and been on it since he was 5 weeks, yes his poo smells horrible and is sometimes green- nice :S but hes a happier baby, still gets some wind, but no where near as much image
  • Options
    Hello there

So pleased to have found this forum. I have a 5 month old baby girl currently on Nutramigen 1. She was very colicky, windy with bad reflux. Knew something was up when she broke out in painful excema all over face and neck. Was on Aptamil, infacol, colief and gaviscon with double base for skin and still wouldn't drink more than a few Oz at a time, obviously in pain and distress. Becoming very small baby even though healthy birth weight.

Tried Soya formula and symptoms cleared up within 48 hours so knew she had a lactose intolerance although bit of a job convincing GP who is very old school. (now have new GP) Told me to start BF again even though had stopped 2 months prev. Duh!! Finally got prescription and baby Anna is now on Nutramigen 1 and Gaviscon infant for Reflux..... phew! Is my second baby so was a bit more 'forward' with GP. Thank goodness or I don't know how long it would have taken them to diagnose.
    (Was also told Soya not the best for allergy babies. HV waste of space.)

Anyway I have started weaning and now A starting to refuse Nutramigen milk and we are having a job to get her bottles down her. It does taste awful and can't say I blame her but are there any tips to make it more appealing?

One mum on this forum mentioned Nesquik? Is this very sugary. I know it will be the lesser of two evils in the end, skinny hungry baby or a touch of something in the milk to make it taste better???? Any other options?

• Options
    We use nesquick with the nutramigen......would say try banana 1st as that's not quite such a harsh flavouring. We use strawberry for my 4th and he drinks it no prob. As she's weaning, she'll be popping teeth soon enough so brushing teeth will become part of ur daily routine anyway!
  • Options
    Oh, forgot to say, they don't like to use soya prior to 6 months as it lo's can develop an allergy to soya as well as milk protein......we had this with Alex. He is 21 months old and the size of a 1yr old (his last chk up had him around the 0.4th centile for height & weight after being on the 25th at birth but his head size is correct for his age!).....since we took him off soya as well and gone onto the nutramigen he has flourished in leaps n bounds and has grown steadily over the past few months (althou still little for his age).
  • Options
    Hello

We are the other nesquik family in this forum - I also tried apple juice and vanilla to improve at the HV suggestion as was worried about the sugar but both were vile.

i then read the ingrediants in normal formula and nutramigen they are also full of sugar! The dietician suggested vannilla nesquik but its really hard to find.

We started with the banana and moved onto strawberry when she changed to nutramigen 2 - just one scoop is enough to improve the flavour.

(ran out one day and tried chocolate - bad idea just curdled and blocked teat!)

I just make sure we clean her teeth well and limit other sugary snacks as she improved so much with the nutramigen I think its an OK trade off.
  • Options
    hello. my baby boy was born 24th may 2008. for the first 4 weeks of his life his nappies where horrible. not normal at all they where a funny colour smelt of milk and had white lumps in like a mucus. quite stringy. (I have two girls aged 2 and 4 as well so i knew it wasnt right.) At 4 weeks old there was blood in his nappy and within about 6 hours he was passing blood cots. no poo just blood!! We went to A and E and they admitted him for test and said it was a dairy intelerance. They put him on nutramigen and within 12 hours his poo was normal again. at 4 months he went for a skin prick test which was negative. He is now 8 months and went for a milk challenge last week. this initially was negative untill an hour or so after the last test and hois poo was the same as it was when he was born. it has really upset his tummy and now a week after the nappy rash and poo has gone back to normal nutramigen poo!! bit green but thats normal. He will now be on it apparently for at least another year. see the nutritionist in 3 months.
  • Options
    sorry forgot to add that when he was born he was on the 99th centile weighing 10lb 6oz 9. (my doctor told me he had a stomach bug and to stay on cow and gate even though the hospital gave me a repeat for nutramigen!! he said they dont always no what they are talking about up there.!! I phoned the hospital to tell them because my doctor then wasnt going to sign me the repeat, they told me to ignore him!!)
    now Ryan is under the 50th weighing only 19lb at nearly 8 half months. only gained 5oz since 23rd december 2008 (it now 9th feb 2009) bit worrying as he is now crawling but not gaining.
    any one got any ideas how we can fatten him up a bit as if he keeps this up he might start loosing with all his exercise!!! Finger foods , bscuits, anything. Also what is nutramigen 2? is it any different?

I only get 3 tins at once and so every week i have to drive to doctors. what a pain.

thanks

[Modified by: shelleyryder on February 09, 2009 03:00 PM]